Panther locals may be different species...

Unless they are reproductively isolated and have been for a while, the differences are only skin deep.

Sorry but that is wrong. Ever wonder why certain races of humans are in general and majority more athletic than others, more suited for certain environments, have a more natural talent for certain things, etc, etc. Not so skin deep.

More pennies for the pile.

I think and talk about it all the time... How can you not be fascinated by that phenomenon?

Those differences that you speak of between the different populations of humans are there because those populations were reproductively isolated - as a result of being geographically isolated. If Native americans and africans had been breeding together frequently throughout human history, those differences you are talking about wouldnt be there right? Im really wrong about this?

I thought differences within various populations of a species came about when they couldn't "get it on" anymore and exchange the genes that are responsible for those physical differences.

I would like to take this moment to point out I'm no expert on this stuff, but it does interest me and i read a lot about it and watch whatever shows i can too. Plus I did take biology courses in college that dealt with this stuff.

Last edited:
Well lets see.... joefarah

[JC twittles his fingers as he thinks... ]

Humans are much younger as a species than the chameleons by tens
of millions of years ......

LOL... (Joe rolls up his sleeves as he types...)

Well I do agree with pretty much everything you said, I think...

I would like to say that my quote was not interpreted as I had intended:

Unless they are reproductively isolated and have been for a while, the differences are only skin deep.

I just meant that if the populations that we are looking at as belonging to different subspecies are still exchanging genetic info on a somewhat regular basis, then they will only have slight genetic differences that probably wouldn't warrent reclassification into different species.

But you're saying, " I was talking about classifying them into different SUBspecies..." Well there's no scientific validity behind the concept of a "subspecies". You're just observing whatever particular trait (or genetic mutation if you want to get technical about it) you chose to observe.

Thanks

I thought differences within various populations of a species came about when they couldn't "get it on" anymore and exchange the genes that are responsible for those physical differences.
I'm having trouble understanding this part of your reply.

Evolutionary differences that are seen in animals are not usually because they simply stop being able to breed together, but rather because of geographical barriers or similar situations for example, that divide populations of one species, and have them evolve on separate courses. Many subspecies can hybridize, which would be the case for panthers if they were to be considered sup species.

If they are to be split into subspecies, I can tell you now that they would NOT be in the groups of locales that are known and used by captive keepers. There would likely be Geographic Locales even within defined subspecies. Where do you draw a line between Tamatave, Fenerive, Maroantsetra, Andapa, Sambava... IF DNA is proven to show enough differences in panthers to warrant subspecies, it is likely to group several of those "locales" together, presenting a whole new situation for purists.

I started to write this long reply and then found myself lost within it all.
Blah.
I'll try again:

I believe that from east to west there is going to be a genetic drift that will
qualify the different end ranges as two different subspecies. (roughly stated)

I also believe that there are many traits that exist within the overall population
that are muted currently and may come into play with environmental selection over time.

What it boils down too, is to what extent the different clusters of animals
diverges from the rest of the population.
Then if that genetic difference qualifies as being enough to warrant subspecies status.

Frankly I don't know... All I know is that we need more information
and until we get it... this is all theory.
Perhaps thats just a forum copout.. I'm a down with a cold right now and tired.
but I wanted to give some type of sincere reply. g-night.

Back
Top Bottom