Panther Chameleon boy or girl?

jackson827

314023289456.jpg

314023285158.jpg

The color looks like a male, but I'm not sure. It is called Picasso by the seller, is it true?

Mabye its me, but i am not seeing any hemipenal buldge.

it may just be a slow developer.

some others should chime in shortly.

but for now i wanna say female.

I dunno the sex, but Picasso means its a mixed breed. So it could be Amjamba and nosy be, or some other combination.

A more clear picture at an angle similar to the first one, but with the tail going straight back or slightly downward, would help. Based on what I can see in those two pics though, the tail looks male.

id say it was a girly aswell,as i cant see any buldge.

I dunno the sex, but Picasso means its a mixed breed. So it could be Amjamba and nosy be, or some other combination.

is this true,as picassos in england are nomally red bar ambilobe?

graeme

is this true,as picassos in england are nomally red bar ambilobe?

graeme

I don't know about red bar, but I would agree that some people use it as a special name for Ambilobes in general.
As for the gender I must be blind because the pictures don't seem clear enough to tell- if I went by color I'd agree with everyone else though, female.

Better Picture...

Like Kent said, a clearer picture would help. The color itself does not scream male. Females can have lots of green. There is one feature on your cham that makes me think it could be female. If you look at the area above the shoulder.... Females will often have a dark circular or oval like pattern over that shoulder that really stands out. And a second dark pattern a bit further down the body like yours also has. On females these dark patterns really stand out as they age. I just shipped off a female with this same very distinctive patterning. It's the only feature on your cham that says it could be a female to me. Without a clear picture of the tail it leaves that possibility open for me.

An age would better help to know, but I say female if it is as old as I think that it is. Typical female coloration and no sign of hemipenal bulge. Clearer pics would definately help also.

I never sex panther babies by color. I only look at the "shape" of the tail base, NOT A BULGE. They don't have mature sex organs so there's no bulge in males! Why does everyone still think this?? Has anyone EVER seen a two month old panther with a noticeable hemipenal bulge?? This four month old doesn't have a bulge, is it a female too? ;)

DSCF8079.jpg

From hatching until a month or so old they are super easy to sex. I hatched two clutches this past January and sexed them all by 1 week-old, separated them by sex, and they turned out 100% accurate. I've also sexed a number of hatchlings for friends. Once they get a little older the tail may fill in and it can get a little more difficult but the basics remain the same. That's where I think the OP's guy is. A clear picture from the side with the tail straight out would make it clear but the way the tail seems to not taper at the vent says it's a male.

I don't think Picasso means it is a mixed locale panther...I have more commonly seen the term used to refer to the desirable rainbow color combinations seen in Ambilobes. Kind of like a "designer" Ambilobe with all of the colors of the rainbow--but not mixed locale

Back
Top Bottom