Osiris has a new Playground!

Phatturk

Well I am kinda jumping the gun here by posting pics already but here goes.

First I made the frame, pretty simple even for me (This is my first carpentry project) Then I started the D.I.Y rock type backdrop. I used the foam in a can then covered it with a black silicone and the coco fiber from the bricks.

CIMG0003.jpg

CIMG0007.jpg

After that I built the base using a cement mixing tray for drainage (sorry no good pics of that yet) And I added a touchscreen monitor for my Control System and web server.

CIMG00.jpg

CIMG0003-1.jpg

Just tried out the mister and put Osiris in there to see how he likes it and I have honestly never seen him so green and yellow. He seems to really love it and he also seems to be a lot bigger looking in there also.

FSCN2340.jpg

This setup is not done yet so please don't be too critical of it just yet. You know please don't write "hey that thing needs doors and screens" I know it has a lot to still be added.

I found a guy that will make me a roller shade out of screen also and I am very excited about that. I am hopeing to use it as the door. It will be like this except with screen instead of cloth.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=142299-15766-YSU37660-RD6&lpage=none

If you don't mind sharing, what is your misting setup? I've been really struggling to get something automated going... I just can't find the right kind of nozzles.

EDIT: Oh yea, looks absolutly great. I like it a lot. What is the LCD for?

I actually got the touch screen as a sample from China :) So I got it for free. However I do a lot of work with that company and buy stuff from them constantly for my work. I also got the PC for free from them as well but they might ask for that one back some time. All the wood I got from a Carpenter friend of mine as a trade for some PC help. The only stuff I paid for was the plants, plastic branches, lights, mister and screening. I think thats it. With paint and silicone and everything said and done it cost me about $500. But I would guess it is worth close to $4000.

The link will definatly be posted as soon as it is up and running.

super sweet i can feel your good cham vibes from here!

hey if you have a good spot outside that is free of bugs....i'd suggest getting the ficus benjamena and schleffera trinnette some duplicates, so you can switch inside and outside...however with winter creeping up you might want to save that idea for spring....but I know outdoor plants always perk up more and sometimes its good to switch indoor plants out! just a thought...very nice work though...good karma to you

sorry for the double post but I just noticed your excellent use of the macourts supertub, I'm always telling as many people I can about these, not only for chameleon drainage but also for hydroponic flood tables....at the price of under 15 dollars (they cost 10 here at lowes!) sturdy enough ..... i have 1 5/16 holes drilled in mine with overflow valves that lead to a drain....gooood stuff

I love it! hey heres a question, the back lining of your cage that appears to be some sort of organic material, how have you ensured that doesn't become water logged and a breeding ground for bacteria....also, what do you have your walls lined with, i know if I used a humidifier like that my dry wall would rot in a small room like that, it looks like you have something over the walls to almost ceiling level but I can't tell what it is, i'd prolly just staple up some panda film. also I'd avoid having the electrical stuff so close and on the ground in case of a small flood or leak but your drainage looks pretty fool proof I just ike to play it safe. great work thanks for sharing!

other than that it looks awesome

The material on the back of the cage is the Coco bedding that comes in bricks. I have worried a lot about exactly what you mentioned but after testing it a few times and positioning my mister right it hardly gets wet at all. I will have to keep a close eye on it in the future but the material is such a thin layer it dries pretty fast. And even after a 30 min misting session it still wasn't "wet" maybe a bit damp but it doesn't get hit directly by the water. But any advise here would be very helpful.
The room is very well ventilated (only 3 walls) and a bit dry normally. I really hadn't thought about my drywall, it is only protected by the latex paint. But the humidifier is controlled by my system and it never gets over 80%, in the next room it's about 40-50%. Here in Chicago we get 85-90% humidity in the summer months sometimes so I am not sure if it will be a problem or not. Good thing I didn't put a security deposit on my place maybe! :)
And all the wires will definatly <-(how do you spell this word?) be covered and concealed as I finish up the cage.

you are fine.
im into vivarium building and we use coco backgrounds all the time.
and in a vivarium for lets say Dart frogs you have to keep the humidity as high as you possibly can. so i wouldn't worry to much about the coco background rotting.

Back
Top Bottom