Opinions please.

CasqueAbove

Chameleon Enthusiast
My little guys are ready to start finding homes.
This is the rough basics I am giving people prior to purchase. I would like honest opinions on if it covers the basics properly or if I missed something.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you want a Chameleon ?

Chameleons can make some of the most interesting and rewarding pets around. However, the are not a beginner pet. This doesn't mean it can't be your first pet, It just means you will need to do some research first.

Often the term difficult is used, but I think specific is a better way to describe their care. Chameleons have very specific requirements in terms of heat, uvb light, humidity, air flow and diet. If you take these into account when setting up, your new pet you will do well. The difficult part comes in the fact that if any one of these is off, the animal will suffer, fail to thrive and ultimately die. For Yemen (Veiled ) Chameleons, females can live up to 7 years and males have been known to go 10+ when given proper care. Fortunately knowledge and modern equipment this can all be very manageable.

The important thing is to be committed to the long term care. Don't try to take shortcuts.

For the care of Chameleons I am not going to rewrite the book, I will give the basics of my care, and encourage you to research and learn.
Here are some good sources of up to date and accurate information, written by experts.
https://www.Chameleons.info/en/
https://Chameleonacademy.com/
Another good source of information and help is
https://www.Chameleonforums.com/

My Basics:

Basking zone < 80 for female and < 85 for males.

Ambient Temp @ 75 Night time temps should drop to a minimum of 70 and as low as the low 60s.

Humidity: 30% to 50% daytime and 90% - 100% at night

T5HO UVB 6% or 5.0

I use automatic misters or pump type sprayer type bottles. Foggers ant night to cool and increase humidity.

I am including a rough price list of the equipment for a new Chameleon.

Chameleon Supply list:

• Lighting.

• Heat – Light Dome fixture with 60watt to 75watt incandescent.
    • $20
    • Plants – Make sure to include light for Live plants. There are various types available, most will do fine.
    • $40
  • Housing
    • There a few options for housing your Chameleon. Some things to keep in mind is to provide as much area as you can. Ventilation is extremely important. It must be a screen, or screen glass hybrid. NO aquariums
  • $150 and up

• Live Plants. Some do not realize the importance or this, but for a happy healthy Chameleon, and to not be fighting with heat and humidity. They are a must.
    • $50
  • Hydration.
    • Misters, sprayer, foggers, dippers. There are again options here, but plan on at least
    • $100
  • Supplements and Food. You will need to properly supplement your Chameleon. This will require 3 different vitamins. Ca with D3, Ca Without D3, and a multivitamin.
    • $30

Total: $380

This is a rough guide of the minimum you will need to keep a Chameleon. However through some shopping and looking on Crags list, and Facebook Marketplace often you can find much of what you will need at a lower price.

Your total price is off... It would actually be $470 based on the prices you included. Then there are the extras though... Proper temp gauges, insect bins, feeder costs, etc... Plant lighting.

Only thing I would edit is that the UVB does not have to go diagonally. It can go side to side. Proper placement for basking with those bulb strengths would be 9 inches down for the closest basking branch. And that they should raise the basking fixture off the top 3-4 inches to reduce thermal burn risk with baby screen climbing.

Maybe put feeding recommendations based on age... And that feeders can be ordered online at a cheaper price then at their local store.

I am only a year into chameleon owning and the biggest things I learned here was the lighting (5.0 UVB T5HO, warning of burns from heat lamps), supplements to avoid MBD (calcium, d3 etc), and hydration (live plants, hand pump sprayers, automatic misters, drippers).

The hardest was controlling and monitoring temperature and humidity and I found an Inkbird 608T helped some aspets but monitoring temperature and humidity across a 4ft cage is no easy task.

Your total price is off... It would actually be $470 based on the prices you included. Then there are the extras though... Proper temp gauges, insect bins, feeder costs, etc... Plant lighting.

Only thing I would edit is that the UVB does not have to go diagonally. It can go side to side. Proper placement for basking with those bulb strengths would be 9 inches down for the closest basking branch. And that they should raise the basking fixture off the top 3-4 inches to reduce thermal burn risk with baby screen climbing.

Maybe put feeding recommendations based on age... And that feeders can be ordered online at a cheaper price then at their local store.

Thank you. I want to set people up for success not failure. I knew I could count on you. Not to swell your head, but you should be paid for what you do.

Good point, I forget that is not common knowledge lol. Thank you

I hand chams to beardy and turtle folk. They try to hold it like a potato with the legs just dangling like you do for a beardy or turtle. It doesnt go over well and they get real confused when it tries to "grab" them, then its panic time because they think its trying to get away.

Here is the update. It wouldn't let me edit the original
I added

Some things to know about your new pet.

1. Chameleons are solitary animals. They can not live together, or even in sight of each other.
  2. Though you will see many pic of Chameleons being held, they are really more of a hands off pet. They can get use to you and eat from your hand, but rarely enjoy actually being handled. In addition too much handling will add stress, which is not good for Chameleons.
  3. Chameleons only eat live food. Insects. Though most keepers have a staple feeder it is good too add variety. NO mealworms. Be prepared to keep and obtain live insects. These can be bought at the big box stores, but you will find it is often easier and more economical to buy quantity on line. If you are local, I also supply feeders. Dubia, crickets, superworms.

Fixed my stupid math error to $470

• Lighting.
    • UVB - T5HO not T8 5.0 or 6%. Make sure fixture has reflector Recommended : https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/prot5/ . Proper placement for basking with these bulb strengths would be 9 inches down for the closest basking branch.
    • $80

• Heat – Light Dome fixture with 60watt to 75watt incandescent. You should raise the basking fixture off the top 3-4 inches to reduce thermal burn risk with baby screen climbing.
    • $20

Keep in mind as well the ongoing costs of food, new equipment, light replacements (6months), and others.

Few things to add:
  1. You've got a typo at " Foggers ant night to cool and increase humidity."
  2. I like to recommend night time humidity of 70%+ since 90-100% is unrealistic for most folks. Then people freak out when they can't get it to 100%.
  3. I'd add in that the multivitamin should be without D3 since you're also suggesting calcium with D3 as apart of the schedule.
  4. I'd add in the size of enclosure needed as this is a very common mistake.
  5. Also, I have tons of YouTube videos on my channel that cover basic care requirements. You're more than welcome to share them with new keepers via this link: https://www.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon?sub_confirmation=1

Few things to add:
  2. I like to recommend night time humidity of 70%+ since 90-100% is unrealistic for most folks. Then people freak out when they can't get it to 100%.
  3. I'd add in that the multivitamin should be without D3 since you're also suggesting calcium with D3 as apart of the schedule.
  5. Also, I have tons of YouTube videos on my channel that cover basic care requirements. You're more than welcome to share them with new keepers via this link: https://www.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon?sub_confirmation=1

Thank You

Few things to add:

I added your suggestions, and your link :)

Chameleons are solitary animals. They can not live together, or even in sight of each other.
Chameleons are social animals which perform the complex rha ioral
Paytern over distance for many reasons. They keep
Sight contact with several congeners permanently, thanks to their excellent sight. Keeping them in sight contact but iver distance is therefore inevitable

Please do not get on thin ice, the cires sentences are simply not correct, with all respect

https://www.chameleons.info/l/chameleons-are-masters-in-social-distancing-let-us-learn-from-them/

https://www.chameleons.info/l/proxi...ivity-based-on-wild-and-captive-observations/

Back
Top Bottom