OMG!!!!! What the H*LL was I thinking?????

Holding them isn't bad :) they tickle! I got Pan to eat them by flipping them on their backs and letting them kick their legs. He would also eat them from my fingers if their legs moved. Hyperion would only eat them after I popped them in his mouth while he was chewing a super a few times. (supposing you're still having a problem trying to get frogg to eat them :))

Holding them isn't bad :) they tickle! I got Pan to eat them by flipping them on their backs and letting them kick their legs. He would also eat them from my fingers if their legs moved. Hyperion would only eat them after I popped them in his mouth while he was chewing a super a few times. (supposing you're still having a problem trying to get frogg to eat them :))

Yeah, I have to make them squirm or some of the chams just look at them like 'what? is that food? I don't eat flat brown things' :D

I did try that too!! He was terrified, which isn't funny, yet it is?? Afraid of food??? He has been eating the very small nymphs now. He still won't touch even the bigger nymphs:p Fraidy cat!!!

Yeah, I have to make them squirm or some of the chams just look at them like 'what? is that food? I don't eat flat brown things' :D

Exactly!!! Frogg looked at me like "what am I supposed to do with that??? Bring me my worms!!" My beardie didn't miss a beat!! He takes the adult males like wax worms!! I wonder if he even gets to taste them......:D

Lol! I just took the plunge this week too and bougth dubias for the first time. I made the mistake of asking to see the colony before I decided!:eek: Needless to say I only had enough courage to buy the small ones! They will grow on me as they grow I think! Actually I think they look quite cute - certainly a lot nice than crickets! I think it'll be a while before I have any adults in the house though!:eek:

Lol! I just took the plunge this week too and bougth dubias for the first time. I made the mistake of asking to see the colony before I decided!:eek: Needless to say I only had enough courage to buy the small ones! They will grow on me as they grow I think! Actually I think they look quite cute - certainly a lot nice than crickets! I think it'll be a while before I have any adults in the house though!:eek:

Hehe!! I bought the mixed sizes so I would have some to feed to my guys and some to start breeding!! I've just started to feed some adults, cuz I have quite a few males. Winston, my beardie is the only one who will eat the adults. I'm getting used to them, so they don't creep me out as bad anymore :p

I never could get my chams, even the 200 gram vieled to eat them. They would move to the other side of the cage and look at it, look at me, look at the dubia and say "what the heck are you thinking!" I gave all mine away. An alternate solution would be to get some roach killer or one of those roach traps. Don't toss them out or your neighbors will be banging on your door.

I never could get my chams, even the 200 gram vieled to eat them. They would move to the other side of the cage and look at it, look at me, look at the dubia and say "what the heck are you thinking!" I gave all mine away. An alternate solution would be to get some roach killer or one of those roach traps. Don't toss them out or your neighbors will be banging on your door.

Frogg was glued to the top of his cage when I put the first one in!!! He finally came down to the basking perch, but stayed fired up at it all morning. I finally took it out and flushed it!!! He will take the smaller ones now :p Another solution, is send them to me!!! My beardie LOVES them!! But then again, he'll eat anything that moves :rolleyes:

I don't think I could ever do the dubias. I know they are completely different then the roaches we get here in New Orleans but I've had enough bad experiences with the 3" flying tree roaches to hang in the towel before I begin on that one. Use to work as a university police officer for Loyola uptown and on the night shift while doing my rounds (all outside) I would constantly have to watch where I walk and what was crawling on the walls next to me. It was not uncommon for this officer to run screaming b/c one flew at her lol. Hey at least I didn't draw my weapon and fire at it eh? ;)

Both my male and female panther love dubias. The female will eat them at any size but will have to bite an adult in half and hold the chunks in her hands until she chews and swallows the part in her mouth! Pretty gross but fun to watch at the same time:D Ziggy, the male will only eat them if I put the roaches one at a time on the screen top. Once they get his attention, he will keep eating one after the other. Once he looks away i know hes done. My problem is, I have fed off most of the mid sized nymphs so now I have around 50 adults and a ton of little ones. Not sure if others run into that problem.

4 inches long? Are you sure you didn't get hissing cockroaches instead?

Dubias can't climb vertical surfaces and are not fast runners. I've only ever found a few of them around the house, that apparently escaped from my chams' cages.

If you are hosting a dinner party, and one walks into the dining room, just "accidentally" knock over one of the centerpiece candles to light the table cloth on fire. Your guests will never notice the cockroach as they stampede out the door and onto your front lawn. Your reputation for good housekeeping will remain untarnished and you will have plenty of time to dispose of the cockroach before the fire trucks arrive.

Hope this helps!:)

This is brilliant!

I just got my first Dubias in on Thursday, I opened up the box and the first thing that popped into my head was "Oh boy am I going to have some fun with these!" Talk about perfect for practical jokes!

Can't wait to get some hissers!! (too bad there isn't a horn/devil face emoticon....)

Yeah i have to put mine on the screen to get my cham interested in them. Otherwise he pretty much ignores them =/ started with about 100 a year or so ago now i have like 2k and he will hardly ever even eat them :mad:.
But they are completely harmless, they need high temps to breed, they cant climb and they are lazy. More than once i have had one get out from free ranging in the cage and just go back and sit next to the roach bin and wait to get back in rofl.

Hahaha.
I feel your pain or better fear!!! I hate cockroaches. When I had my first Cham, I bought them too. I couldnt take them out because I noticed how fast they were. I saw in front of my eyes how it turns out, if they get away and breed in my apartment and then infest the whole apartment building, and it's all my fault. So I put them in the freezer because I was even afraid to throw them into the garbage ben outside. Next day I took them out and watched them for a while to make sure they are really dead before I threw them in the garbage. Never tried again.

I love my roaches, they are great and don't bite! I am afraid of crickets and superworms :p you probably shouldn't feed adults to chameleons, unless they are huge chameeons. My adult male veiled could barely eat an adult male dubia, and the females exoskeleton is too hard. The grey babies are what you want. The itty bitty ones are too small for my adult panther, so I decided to buy 2 hissers male and female to breed because their babies are much larger. But yeah roaches are great and nothing to be afraid of. and They can't climb glass! The babies can climb plastic but glass is too slippery.

And don't worry about them getting out and breeding, wisconsin is way too cold for them to survive =P

Back
Top Bottom