Okay fr a cham?

Katrinaa

Someone had this made for their snake and realized the snake would be happier in the other enclosure as the snake does not climb. Would this be suitable for a veiled? image.jpg

It looks like a nice cage.

One thing I see is if you're planning on free ranging your feeders it looks like the screen size might be too big and they could crawl out.

Holy cow, that looks enormous! Yes, yes, yes! It would be supremely perfect for a veiled if you can figure out how to manage water, but the size is beautiful and he would love you for it.

Okay awesome:) just wanted to double check! I have a ficus and a pothos I want to add to it too:) I was going to create a fake bottom for drainage but realized the tree is in there firmly lol!! And I'm not too worried about the crickets! I try to cup feed. If you take the back legs off a cricket can it still jump out of the cup? lol

No, even if you take off one of the back legs they can't move very well. Although I ever really have them jump out of a tall deli cup or a tall yogurt container.

Thanks for the info! I've been curious! If my cham is happy I don't mind a few creepy crawlys around the house! Lol

Just realized I'll have to put the lamp inside the cage. If I make sure the branches aren't too high will this be okay?

If you have tools, or friends with tools, I'd cut an opening on the top, and screen it to put the lights on. I think it would be safer in the long run, and fairly easy to do.

Just realized I'll have to put the lamp inside the cage. If I make sure the branches aren't too high will this be okay?

Can you modify the top? Someone with some power tools could cut some openings in the top board and you can cover those with screen really easily.

I would recommend that over putting the lights inside. You just have to find someone with a saw :D

For the bigger, heavier light fixture that most of us use for fluorescents, leave an inch or so for the edge of the light to sit on, so it's supported. A dome light isn't usually heavy, so it wouldn't need as much support as say a quad T5 Ho hood. You probably already know to do that, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to mention it. That's an awesome cage, by the way. :) Your veiled is one lucky cham.

Thank you:) I just have an assortment of domes right now. Will they be okay for something this big? Maybe a high wattage?

I think as long as you check your temps you should be fine, for now. I'd be looking for a tube light setup, you'll get a brighter enclosure and a wider uvb basking area than the CFL bulbs. And make sure he can get close enough to the uvb light, the manufacturer should list the distance you need on the box or their website. Also, be careful with higher wattage bulbs if you're setting them directly on the screen. You guy could decide to climb the screen and get a nasty burn.

Thank you very much!! I'll look into the tube lights. What length would you recommend? The enclosure is 6'tallx4'wide by 2'deep

I think reptisun and arcadia make bulbs that fit 4 foot long hoods, that's what I would probably go with That way your enclosure would be well lit. I think smaller lights would be a little dim, but I'm not sure. The biggest cage I have is a 24 x 24 x 48, and I use a 24 inch, 4 bulb T5 HO fixture in addition to a 10 inch dome light for basking. Your cage is a lot bigger and taller than mine. :) I'm sure someone here that has a similar sized cage can give you a better idea of what would work well.

Back
Top Bottom