Nosy Komba

Sorry. Just to clarify, I meant I want to know where Ampiskiana is in Madagascar, not the east coast of the U.S.

ampiskanas are quite common in the uk now quite a few breeding pairs i know of someone that has them available quite often for £140 or $218 which is cheap over here as im going to pay £245 or $382

FLChams' list of Furcifer pardalis list all locales and Ampiskiana is one of them.:p

http://www.flchams.com/about_panther_chameleons.asp

Ampiskiana:
A locality from the mainland of northwest Madagascar near the islands of Nosy Mitsio and Nosy Ankarea. Specimens from this locale tend to look like a cross between males from Ambilobe and Nosy Mitsio. Display coloration tends to be a yellow base coloration with green bars and red eye turrets. Red barring in the gular and ventral areas are also known.

Just FYI to all you jokesters, LOL!:rolleyes:

Ok, no joke here. I've gone through three or four different editions (including the most recent) of the Bradt Travel Guidebook of Madagascar, searched Google Earth numerous times, searched an almanac, can't find mention in any other book or magazine I have (I've been collecting cham and Madagascar books and articles for 19 years), and have scoured my coffee table-sized map of Madagascar. I can't find "Ampiskiana" anywhere in any of them (in Madagascar). Is that a trade name, similar to Oorana Mena and Mafana? Maybe. I still just want to know the actual, physical place they come from. Someone show me?

Ok, no joke here. I've gone through three or four different editions (including the most recent) of the Bradt Travel Guidebook of Madagascar, searched Google Earth numerous times, searched an almanac, can't find mention in any other book or magazine I have (I've been collecting cham and Madagascar books and articles for 19 years), and have scoured my coffee table-sized map of Madagascar. I can't find "Ampiskiana" anywhere in any of them (in Madagascar). Is that a trade name, similar to Oorana Mena and Mafana? Maybe. I still just want to know the actual, physical place they come from. Someone show me?

Do you see Nosy Mitsio and Nosy Ankarea on the map? Do you see anything in between those two? IDK you could be right about it just being a Trade Name.
mainland of northwest Madagascar near the islands of Nosy Mitsio and Nosy Ankarea

Well, I didn't want to do it, but I guess as the owner of (one of) the chameleon known as "Ampiskiana" in question, I should chime in. First of all, I don't care what anyone wants to call it, he is an amazing animal regardless.

If you look at the map of maddy, there are like 300 towns that have some un-pronounceable name that looks like Ampiskiana. So who knows. I could be a trade name, it could be a translation or spelling error. I have dealt with quite a few WC panthers, and never seen one that looks quite like this one. I have(or have had in the past) WC, and F1 offspring sambava, masoala, maroantestra, that look NOTHING like him, color and body shape, that came in the same or close to the same shipments. Again, I could care less about the label, but I'm also not about to toss him in with some other locale, just because I can't find his birthplace on the stupid map.

Anyway, haven't we already had this discussion several times before?

Other sites say it's a locale on the east coast mainland, also. Who to believe? You can pull up satellite images, road maps, etc using regular old Google maps. The nearest mainland spots from the Nosy Mitsio Archipelago seem to basically be the area around the Sirama plantation. Go here and enter "Sirama, Madagascar" or the names of the islands and search: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Sorry, to hijack the thread about Nosy Kombas. They are a very real and very rare, at least to US markets, locale. And I'll even go so far as calling them a full "locale" versus my usual "locale-type" because the island is so small. I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing more, close-up photos of Ray's animals and anyone else who gets/got some.

nosy komba is small island in front of lokobe park(nosy be)
i was in nosy be and nosy komba,and the colour of pardalis is the same.
true wild nosy be pardalis are green,not blue ;-)

This is strange as i found a distinct difference in colouration between nosy be and nosy komba when i was out there back in april, the kombas seems to show a very different base colour. I also found some very bright blue (aswell as green) nosy bes in ulang ulang plantations along the side of the road. I will have to sort some pics out to show people.

And with regards to the ampiskiana, there are thousends of towns and villages in mad that may go under several names, i myself have not found the exact location of ampiskiana yet either but they certainly do look different to ambilobes or sambavas.

Back
Top Bottom