Nosy Faly Owners

Benton1576

Hi,

I am buying a pair of adult Nosy Faly at the on sunday. I would like to know what to look for in the female to be sure she is Faly. I know most females look the same but different locales can be distinguished a certain amount. Any help would be appreciated, i would like to keep my chameleon lines "clean". I am also paying a very small amount for these which slightly concerns me, hence wanting to be able to look for any sign they are not faly.

i doubt you will be abe to spot the differences in females between locales as females look different in each locale any way, they are individual same as us, they vary in each locale to sub locale, the only way to find out is to breed them,

with regards to the falys being cheap: if something sounds to good to be true then usually it is. i stay away from so called "breeding pair" or "proven" etc because usually the animals have reproductive problems which you cant tell from just looking at the animals

rob

no way of tellin with a female, an with falys its that old sayen if it sounds to good to be true it usually is, or my fav "you get what you pay for" yea i paid more for all mine BUT if you look an the end result its all worth it..

I know it sucks, but it's impossible to tell. The only way to know for sure is to breed and then wait for the offspring to color up. If you don't absolutely trust the source, then don't get them. I absolutely agree, with these rarer locales, if you think you're getting a better deal than normal then there might be a reason for it.

The only way you will know is if you are buying from a reputable breeder. If you are not 100% about the source I would say don't do it. If its a baby you will have to wait at least 2 years in between you can breed her and the babies to hatch, and grow so they show colors.

On some WC faly females, I've seen some yellow coloration on the eye turrets (similar to males), my guess is this colors on their eyes is diet related.

Well, it seems i wont be gettin ghtese now. The guy i was going to buy them from seemed to keep making excuses for not sending me photographs, ive been waiting since tuesday. Im sure if i was selling chameleons and someone was asking for photos, id make every effort possible to send them asap, even if it meant me taking them and my wife sending them if i had to work. Something seems a bit off about this deal so i have emailed him and told him im not interested anymore. Shame really because ive spent a small fortune making sure the cage was ready and up to scratch. Saved myself a few hundred by not buying them though so no harm done i suppose.

Thanks to you all for the imput. Its definately true, if it seems too good it probably is!

Ok, he has finally sent me photos. Im still unsure, do young male falys have very dark, almost black stripes? he doesnt look a year old. He looks more like 6 months or so. Female looks good though from what ive been advised they should look like!

Attachments

• faly male.jpg
    faly male.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 391
  • faly female.jpg
    faly female.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 341
not sure if they r falys or not,but like everybody said if ur not sure,dont get them,and if there cheap mmmm less sure:confused: usually they go from 500 to 750 each (babies),so think about it :confused:,,hopping u dont end up like me paid for tomatoes and end up with potatoes:)ITS ALL UP 2 U

Ok, he has finally sent me photos. Im still unsure, do young male falys have very dark, almost black stripes? he doesnt look a year old. He looks more like 6 months or so. Female looks good though from what ive been advised they should look like!

The male looks like a faly to me, although I suppose it could be an ambanja - they often have intense dark blue bars and some have red spotting - not unsimilar to a faly. My 7 month old faly has more blue color with less intense banding and spotting, but again, individuals are different. With a female there is no way that I know of to tell what locale they are, they all look similar. Sorry, I cannot be 100% sure if they're falys, but both are beautiful animals
:)

Hi,

So i went ahead and bought them today following your advice Scott. The female is amazing!! I have my doubts about the health of the male though. He looks very thin, dehydrated and has a URI :eek:. Im going to treat him with Marbocyl, rehydrate him with an electrolite and water mix and give him plenty of good gutloaded crix and hoppers dusted with korvamine zvt to give him a vitamin boost.

Theres no way hes 1 year old either, hes far too small!!! I went ahead with the sale knowing he didnt look well because 1. I think i can get him back on track, and 2. There was no way i was going to leave him with the previous owner. No responsible owner would let a cham get so bad. :mad: So i now regard him as a rescue! :D

Ill send pics in the next few days afer they settle a bit.

Faly Females

Here are some pics of a few Faly females in my colony. I have noticed that all these girls have blue/purple barring both when gravid and receptive. The cheeks will also have mostly purple.......with the odd one blue.

Attachments

• Blush.JPG
    Blush.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 166
  • Nasa.JPG
    Nasa.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 151
  • Neptune.JPG
    Neptune.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 188
  • Salmon.JPG
    Salmon.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 156
  • Andromada.JPG
    Andromada.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 142
More pics

Here are a couple more. Along with a new WC male that is yet to go up on the site. Again you can still see the purple hue amongst the black barring. The pics just don't do it. You really have to see it for yourself.

Attachments

• Ari.JPG
    Ari.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 146
  • Raina.JPG
    Raina.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 166
  • Armageddon.JPG
    Armageddon.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 195
WOW!!! thanks mate. Thats exactly what my female looks like, and i also noticed she had a lot of blue/purple in her barring and face. I was slightly worried she might have been nosy be at first but her markings are exactly like 1 of the female pics you showed. That male of yours is a real stunning Faly. ;)

They do have some distinctive markings. I just wanted to give you a bunch that you could compare yours to. Some of these are CB and WC. As for the male, just think that is him at rest. ;)

He could be a year old, but he may not have gotten as much to eat. Or he could be one of those that run small, my 7 month old looked like a 3 month old until I free ranged him and now he's caught up in size. Have no idea why that made the difference, but maybe the extra mobility helped his metabolism, who knows.

Hopefully you do get him up to speed soon!

He could be a year old, but he may not have gotten as much to eat. Or he could be one of those that run small, my 7 month old looked like a 3 month old until I free ranged him and now he's caught up in size. Have no idea why that made the difference, but maybe the extra mobility helped his metabolism, who knows.

Hopefully you do get him up to speed soon!

Thanks Olimpia. If he has been malnourished for a year, surely he would have problems with his bones? How long do you think it would take for him to catch up if i fed him well? Can i overfeed him? I ask because all he seems to want to do is eat. So far, since 6pm yesterday, hes ate 4 subadult hoppers and 3 adult crix and still hunting. He doesnt seem interested in water though. He is very alert and chases the crix around his cage.

Im going to weigh him later and measure him to give you guys some kind of idea what im dealing with. Ill also post a few pics so you can see the mess this guy left him in. Fingers crossed in a couple of months i can post pics up to show what a bit of TLC can do!! ;)

Heres a few photos. The male weighs in at 66g, female 44g. Just look at the mess the male is in, he looks anorexic! The previous owner should be ashamed of himself.:mad:

Attachments

• P150811_10.27.JPG
    P150811_10.27.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 169
  • P150811_10.28[01].JPG
    P150811_10.28[01].JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 223
  • P150811_10.30.JPG
    P150811_10.30.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 225
  • P150811_10.31.JPG
    P150811_10.31.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 152
Personally, I would have passed on the sale. The male appears to be unhealthy. His fat pads are totally depleted and a respectable breeder would never have sold an animal in such poor condition.

Are you certain that the pair is unrelated? I think that is work considering before you breed them.

Also, it impossible to determine if a female is pure Faly by appearance alone. Sure, they tend to display more "purple/blue" hues but Ambanja females do as well.

Back
Top Bottom