No response from mist king pump

Brodybreaux25

Chameleon Enthusiast
I can't believe I'm about to say this... I need help!

I just bought my first Mist King with the ST-24 timer. I followed the provided install guide exactly and it worked perfectly during the first test. I programmed the timer to go off the next morning so I could check everything out but it never kicked on. The mist in progress symbol on the timer turned on and off at the correct time but there was no response from the pump, no sound, no vibes , no nothing. Then I held down the up arrow for about 30 secs to force a manual mist, still nothing.

Correct me if I'm wrong but That tells me its a electrical prob. So then I held down both arrows to clear the timer thinking I may have made a mistake but when I tried to put it in "ON" mode I got the same results, no response from the pump. Then I totally disconnected every piece of my system and looked them over for damage but everything looked good. When I went to reconnect the power to the pump and timer I noticed a small spark when I made the reconnection. I'm thinking that spark is a symptom of whatever the problem is.

How can I isolate and test each electrical component independently?

Also, the box on the line that runs from the the timer to the pump doesn't seem to be very well made, anyone ever had an issue with it?

If it helps My pump is at floor level with the holding tank about 3" above the pump and my only nozzle it at the very top of my enclosure.

Attachments

• IMG_2055.JPG
    IMG_2055.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_2054.JPG
    IMG_2054.JPG
    185.9 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_2056.JPG
    IMG_2056.JPG
    214.9 KB · Views: 115
I have not yet dealt with the new mistking timers, I here some are weirdly faulty though I am not sure if that has been fixed yet or not... I don't remember (since it was ages ago I set mine up) if you have to prime the pump in the beginning?Doing so might help.

I would check to make sure if you turn the pump on if it works on its own at all. If it can't then likely a pump issue.

I'm going to rewrite the two quick connect plugs today so I can eliminate them as a possible bad connection.

How do I test just the pump without the harness?

Ok so you see those two white plastic pieces?One has a black and red wire and the other is solid black. Connect those two pieces together to make the pump run continuously

I don't think the connectors will let you put them together that way. If I recall they are "keyed" that way to prevent people from wiring it up wrong.

Because you have a display, your power supply is probably good.

Do you have access to a multi meter (DMM)? Simply set it for DC voltage and probe the terminals going to the pump.

Run the pump manually and check (you may want to have a helper push and hold the button)
  • If you have 24VDC to the pump the issue is in the pump
  • If you do not have 24VDC to the pump
    • Check that the terminals within the connectors are not pushed out or disengaged
    • If the display indicates it should be running then the control module may be faulty.
I can get more in detail with troubleshooting this, but this would be the first steps.

My pump is VERY quiet. If I run low on water and get air into it I have had a similar issue. Be sure you also trouble shoot for air in the lines as well.

I don't think the connectors will let you put them together that way. If I recall they are "keyed" that way to prevent people from wiring it up wrong.

Because you have a display, your power supply is probably good.

Do you have access to a multi meter (DMM)? Simply set it for DC voltage and probe the terminals going to the pump.

Run the pump manually and check (you may want to have a helper push and hold the button)
  • If you have 24VDC to the pump the issue is in the pump
  • If you do not have 24VDC to the pump
    • Check that the terminals within the connectors are not pushed out or disengaged
    • If the display indicates it should be running then the control module may be faulty.
I can get more in detail with troubleshooting this, but this would be the first steps.

My pump is VERY quiet. If I run low on water and get air into it I have had a similar issue. Be sure you also trouble shoot for air in the lines as well.
No, you actually can. Mine is right now. That's how you can manually run it. I have mine hooked up to the old wall plug timer.

You can open the control box - CAUTION this voids warranty..... Remove the sticker and there's a screw underneath...

I only recommend this if you know what you are doing with electricity (aka electrician, ccts)

Take note that the control box is not water tight... so if water got in there it may be fried....

No, you actually can. Mine is right now. That's how you can manually run it. I have mine hooked up to the old wall plug timer.

I believe you, but mine didn't. For me to do what you did, would require me to try and mate up same two connectors, (two make or two females-I don't specifically recall). It would make sense as it would make it impossible to hook the wrong two up. Could you have a unit that missed some quality control or maybe Mist King doesn't specify this or check this in their final assembly?? :confused:

I believe you, but mine didn't. For me to do what you did, would require me to try and mate up same two connectors, (two make or two females-I don't specifically recall). It would make sense as it would make it impossible to hook the wrong two up. Could you have a unit that missed some quality control or maybe Mist King doesn't specify this or check this in their final assembly?? :confused:
Unplug both of those cords from the timer lol. You will see. I just purchased this one back in July. So I originally had the newer seconds timer. It broke so I got the old wall version timer. Those plugs just connect the pump to the power adapter and then the plug. The plug goes into the wall timer.

It's exactly how the older versions worked. They just upgraded the timer. Only major difference.

Kelly is right, I have mine set up the same way right now.

BTW- my timer was bad. After I rebuilt the connectors to ensure they were making good contact it took my multi-meter to it and, as Broderp said, I did not get a signal back from the timer while it was on. 2 emails later MistKing is sending me a new timer and power cord, should be here Friday. No questions asked and I don't even have to send them the old one back!

Very please with both your tips and their customer service!

BTW- my timer was bad. After I rebuilt the connectors to ensure they were making good contact it took my multi-meter to it and, as Broderp said, I did not get a signal back from the timer while it was on. 2 emails later MistKing is sending me a new timer and power cord, should be here Friday. No questions asked and I don't even have to send them the old one back!

Glad I could help in some way and even more glad that Mist King stepped up with some good customer service!

Nice Good job man!

Update- the replacement timer is now doing the exact same thing but in reverse. Now it is still misting when the display says it's off. I replaced it with a WIFI wall outlet, works great so far and easier to program.

Anyone else use them?
Likes or dislikes?
Long term reliability?

Attachments

• IMG_2449.PNG
    IMG_2449.PNG
    175.9 KB · Views: 99
Update- the replacement timer is now doing the exact same thing but in reverse. Now it is still misting when the display says it's off. I replaced it with a WIFI wall outlet, works great so far and easier to program.

Anyone else use them?
Likes or dislikes?
Long term reliability?

Call Mist King or email them. Are you sure you are programming it correctly? I screwed the programming on mine when first tried to do it. I didn't realize the time format was HH:MM:SS and placed the run tim ein the wrong place and it seemed like it was never shutting off. :confused:

Regardless, I would not settle for using a wi-fi outlet if I were you. You paid for the features and functions of that unit. If you don't want to use the timer, PM me and I may be willing to look at it for you and see if it;s bad. But I highly recommend you get it fixed or working right. Then if you choose to use a wi-fi outlet, thats your call. Or not. It's your call either way. :D

100% positive I'm programming it correctly. It worked correctly for two days, then it went run away on me with no changes made to the timer. Once it's on it won't stop unless I cut the power. Does not matter what program I'm running or if it's in on or auto mode or set to week or certain days. The time is right, so is the AM/PM. Yes I'm aware that format is as you said above, that's why I went with MK in the first place.

100% positive I'm programming it correctly. It worked correctly for two days, then it went run away on me with no changes made to the timer. Once it's on it won't stop unless I cut the power. Does not matter what program I'm running or if it's in on or auto mode or set to week or certain days. The time is right, so is the AM/PM. Yes I'm aware that format is as you said above, that's why I went with MK in the first place.

Just out of curiosity, was the pump still displaying in the upper right hand corner that it is outputting when it should have been off? If you still get a display that shows its outputting when the time has run down then it's in the timer/programming Eprom. If the display is not showing output and there is no time counting down then it sounds like a stuck relay. The bad thing is that its all one part anyways from a consumer POV.

How are you dealing with the failure? Has Mist King stepped up? I don't want to take advantage of a bad situation, but if you can't get it replaced or repaired, I may be in the market to buy it (at a fair price as a defective unit) to see what I can do with it or have it for spare parts. PM me if interested.

Back
Top Bottom