night time heat source

mismo2

At night my house will drop to about 14ºC (57ºF) knowing that exceptional Nighttime temperatures are (ambient) 65ºF - 75ºF (18ºC-23ºC) Reading up so far every one on the forums recommend a Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitters. The question that i have is will a red light bulb be also acceptable for night time warmth? Apparently reptiles (chams) can not see the red light, this also letting me see my cham at night since im a night owl.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752598

Im not sure what type of cham you have, but some one asked me if I knew what the night time temp was in Madagascar right now. I checked and it was running between 55 degrees and 60 degrees. You maybe allright depending on what cham you have.

At night my house will drop to about 14ºC (57ºF) knowing that exceptional Nighttime temperatures are (ambient) 65ºF - 75ºF (18ºC-23ºC) Reading up so far every one on the forums recommend a Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitters. The question that i have is will a red light bulb be also acceptable for night time warmth? Apparently reptiles (chams) can not see the red light, this also letting me see my cham at night since im a night owl.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752598

Assuming that you put your chameleon in your house, can you sleep with temp 14 C without turning on some kind of heater?
The reason why nighlight is not required in my care is because my house never gets below 60F at night ever due to our lack of tolerance with cold.

I personally do not recommend a light on at night of any kind. Let them sleep in the dark. Most people agree, though not all, that no light at night is best.

I have a red light in the overhead ceiling light fixture in the bedroom that is my chameleon's room. I only turn it on if I need to go in there at night to get something. The chameleons DO notice red light - they wake up and watch me with open eyes if I have to turn that light on. I tried a black light at one time - the chameleons didnt seem to notice it, but it also wasnt much help to my finding things when I needed to go in there either.

If possible, use a space heater to keep the room in which you keep chameleons from going below the recommended rage for your type of chameleon. If you cant do that, a ceramic heat bulb (no visible light) is an option. Your chameleon should be sleeping at night, so there's not going to be much for you to watch at night anyhow.

If it will be a young one, dont let the night temp go below 20 or better 21C. When it is an adult, a lower temp at night is acceptable - down to 18C.

Last edited:
Im not sure what type of cham you have, but some one asked me if I knew what the night time temp was in Madagascar right now. I checked and it was running between 55 degrees and 60 degrees.

Maybe inland, but towards the coast (east or west) where pardalis ranges are, its more in the 68-72 F range still. Today's low in Ambanja is forecast at 71 F.

The chameleons can do OK with temps in the upper 50's nighttime, to include hatchlings, so long as they get a daytime warm up. They will grow slower the lower the temp is, day or night, and without a good daytime warm-up, may run into health problems. I say this regarding temps because I have raised many pardalis to adulthood that only knew nightime temps in the upper 50's. I have also raised them that only knew nighttime temps in the low 70's. Health issues were not higher one way or the other, again providing all got warm days. Only growth rates seemed to change. That said, I recommend the higher nighttime range, with a heat emitter rather than a red light.

Back
Top Bottom