New to forum...few questions!

Skie

Hello chameleonforum members, this will be my 1st post. Over the years I have always wanted a chameleon and I would look up info knowing one day I would eventually own one. Now that I'm going to move into my own place I want to get a Panther chameleon.

I want a 4-8 month old Panther that will go in a 24x24x48 screen cage with a Zoo Med combo deep dome dual fixture, 100w or 160w mercury vapor in one socket and a 75w or 100w Zoo Med moonlight bulb in the other. I have a 3ft ficus tree that has always been pesticide free, 12ft of vines, ledge worm bowl, dripper plant, and a few sticks.

My questions:
1. What watt Mercury Vapor bulb should I get?
2. What watt bulb for the moonlight?
3. Is a 24x24x48 cage to big for the age group that I am looking to get?
4. Is a natural moonlight better than a red nightlight?
5. How the heck are you supposed to mount vines and sticks across the cage?

I want the 24x24x48 cage because an adult Panther would need that size eventually and heard from a reputable breeder that it would be okay for a 4-8 month old. I have not ordered everything I listed. I wanted to get some advice from this forums members

Thank you anyone who responds with some helpful advice. I just want to be as prepared as possible!!

Welcome to the forums. This is a great place to learn about chameleons and meet other chameleon keepers. You want need all those slights and a Mercury Vapor will be to hot for a cage and a young chameleon. No light at night. You can use zip ties or thumb tacks to mount branches and vines. I'm attaching my blog below for how I have had success over the years raising Panthers and veileds.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-with-young-veiled-or-panther-chameleons.325/

Thumb tacks...clever. A 100w MV would be to hot? Would it still be to hot for a full grown Panther? I thought I could slide by with a 100w MV because of the big cage and good hiding spots.

Thank you for your response jannb!

I only use Mercury Vaper on large free ranges and then I get the Mega Ray bulb. I recommend a Reptisun for UVB and a regular household light bulb for basking.

How about at night? It's winter in Massachusetts so it's below freezing. What's the ideal night time temp for a juvenile, and adult Panther for when it gets dark?

A nighttime temp drop is ideal, as long as you're staying 60 degrees you shouldn't need anything. I assume your house doesn't get colder than 60 correct? Also, as jann said I just use a household bulb of the appropriate wattage to get an ideal basking temp upper 80s when they're juveniles.

Back
Top Bottom