New Rescued Veiled Chameleon - Any Advice?

Chameleons have their trachea opening under their tongue

This means it's more important to get liquids into the back of the mouth, so it doesn't go down the trachea of course.

Make sure she gets plenty of calcium and hydration now that she's laid, she should get very hungry and thirsty.......you have now got through your first chameleon egg-laying :)
How many eggs were there?

That's just what the vet said. Back is probably because she's really skinny and the tail could be the start of MBD but probably not. She's getting soaked daily for a week then every other day. I haven't seen her eat yet but she didn't really sleep last night because she was laying and the lights were on. I counted 25 eggs but I could have missed a few but she definitely got all of them out cuz she looks like a deflated balloon now. Power's out at the moment so she's taking a nap with a couple wrapped hand warmers in her cage. Just need to get her fattened up and hydrated and I'll have a healthy girl on my hands. It's a good thing I got her when I did. The vet said the ones he usually sees from pet stores are pretty far gone but she looks really good compared to what she could have been. Next pay check it's humidifier, ceramic heater and possibly a new cage.

*today; I haven't seen her eat today

Attachments

• 20171218_110734.jpg
    20171218_110734.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 20171218_110744.jpg
    20171218_110744.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 88
I'm certainly glad she laid the eggs. Now she needs to eat and drink...and she should do it on her own if she's healthy enough. Make sure she's warm enough that she can digest the food so she'll be more likely to eat.

She's really skinny so I don't know how healthy that makes her. I still haven't seen her eat or show much interest in food. Should I look into an appetite stimulant? I'm trying horn worms today to see if it's variety she wants but she's pretty much skin and bones. She can't really afford to go off food :(

She's really skinny so I don't know how healthy that makes her. I still haven't seen her eat or show much interest in food. Should I look into an appetite stimulant? I'm trying horn worms today to see if it's variety she wants but she's pretty much skin and bones. She can't really afford to go off food :(
Horn worms will probably entice her. Pictures please. Hopefully she will be okay!

Hi everybody,
I just recently rescued a Veiled Chameleon from my work. She was showing either old signs of MBD or very early signs of it. She wasn't going to get the help she needed where she was so she's mine now and has a vet appointment tomorrow.
Her name is Kodak and I have no idea how old she is I just know she is much larger then the Chameleons we normally get in (which usually seems to indicate the breeders knew there was something wrong with her. It's becoming a pattern with the older reptiles we get.) She'd also gravid and trying to dig her tunnel and lay as we speak.
I've had arboreal reptiles before but nothing like a female veiled chameleon. I'm flying mostly blind her. I've been dusting her feeders with calcium but I've been reading that the D3 in it can be dangerous if used everyday. I live in Utah where it is currently winter so I can't really give her natural sunlight without her freezing to death. I don't know if she's ever been outside or had natural UV. She has a UVB 5.0 light in her tank but I was wondering how bad it is to dust with D3 calcium daily since we can't really take her outside at the moment, and if it is dangerous, where I can get non-D3 calcium because my work doesn't seem to carry it.
She's currently not showing much interest in food but that seems to be because she'd preggers. She also has a heating pad and a regular light bulb that seems to be keeping her quite warm. She has three live plants in her tank as well. Again, I'm completely new to Veils and Chameleons (especially females) in general. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone offered you any help?

Yep. Lots of help. Just lots of questions :p this is her in the bath.

Attachments

• 20171219_113526.jpg
    20171219_113526.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 79
Re feeding/ eating...hopefully the hornworms will entice her but you can also try to get her to drink by dripping water on the end if her nose at the rate of one or two drips per second and while her mouth is opening and shutting slip a cricket head first between her teeth. It's bothering me that she didn't immediately eat and drink. Another thing you can try is a thin slices of apple slipped between her teeth or with a needelless syringe give her a bit of baby food such as squash or sweet potato. Don't squirt it in...just slip it gently a bit at a time between her lips being careful that you don't hurt her mouth or make her aspirate it. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom