New Panther Chameleon

zhuisky45

I just received a 4 month old Blue Barred Ambilobe Panther Chameleon from FLChams and this guy is amazing! He came alert and was eating and drinking within the first couple hours of receiving him. He eats about 8-10 crickets a day with an occasional horned worm thrown in there. When it comes to drinking I have been trying to leave him alone and let him adjust so I haven't been able to observe whether or not he has been drinking. I mist him three times a day and have a dripper run twice a day as well so I know he has plenty of opportunities to drink. He's still skittish when I approach his enclosure and I can tell he's still trying to figure me out, however, I think he's starting to associate me with food. He also is starting to show some of his basic colors. I'm seeing his blue bars starting to come in with lots of red and yellow and green in his face. Can't wait to see how his colors and personality progress throughout the next couple of weeks! I think I'm going to name him Zeus!

Attachments

• Zeus 1.JPG
    Zeus 1.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 151
  • Zeus 2.JPG
    Zeus 2.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 158
He is really nice. Lots of color for that age. Once he's settled in hand feeding is usually the best way to get him to trust you.

The Cham I bought had been listen on FLChams website as being 3 months old for a long time but by the time I got it I would say he's 4 months old. I've been impressed with his color so far. I've introduced hand feeding but he doesn't like it when I put my hand in the cage. I've placed a few crickets and horned worms in front of him so I think he's starting to understand that i'm not such a bad guy ha.

I've just got my first chameleon too and he is the same breed as yours, and same age. I'm new to it all and getting lots of help from joining here, as the store I got him from gave me lots of wrong information.
Just seen your pics, hes lovely, mine goes like a really light blue/turquoise colour, sometimes I've noticed a bit of red as well.
x

The people on this forum have been lots of help! Its nice to have this resource rather than listening to the people at the big name pet shops just trying to sell you stuff. I've been fortunate enough to have a small town pet shop where I live that the owner has bred panthers before so he has been a lot of help to me. But ya, Panther Chameleons are a unique pet with a unique set of requirements!I keep poison dart frogs too and they are pretty tricky to keep. When I got my first dart frog I worried all the time but you learn as you go and seek out advice and it becomes very rewarding. Thats what I like about my Panther Chameleon! The feeling you get of keeping a beautiful animal like that is amazing.

Yea you are right zhusky,
the pet store did just want to sell me him, didn't just give me little information but also wrong info. didn't even tell me about calcium, vitamins, and lots more than is pointless mentioning, good thing is, i have sorted it now, only problem think i bought too many crickets today didn't realise you get about 50 in a box! they have whiskers too! eek!

At least you have everything sorted out now hollyjoe. I don't know about you but I hope everyday that I am doing everything correctly. Such a rewarding hobby tho. Hopefully your chameleon is feeling hungry ha! And hopefully you don't find one crawling around your house! Did that today and my wife was not happy :)

Back
Top Bottom