New owner. Underweight?

Some more questions. So whenever her little food cup has some water in it from the misters, she tries to drink it. Right now the misters are set up 2min before and after lights, then 1 min in the afternoon. I also have a dripper going. So I bought a fogger and this is the first night using it. Usually she sleeps in the same spot every night and I directed the fogger towards that area but there would’ve been a leaf covering her up so it wouldn’t have hit her directly. Anyway, she changed her sleeping tonight a few inches above and so the fogger is directly hitting her and her nose is on the screen. Humidity is like 60% so far with as close as I could get the reader without waking her. Also I did end up buying a dragon strand hybrid that should come in a few weeks and that’ll help retain that humidity. The fogger for now I plan on just running very low setting all night. Thinking about a humidity controlled plug for the new cage.
Long winded, but is this okay? Will she be properly hydrated without risk of URI? I also have a sheet I Velcro to the front for privacy and tv light blockage every night.
Also here is a picture of her from tonight. Her head has shed since I got her.

Attachments

• IMG_6359.jpeg
    IMG_6359.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 49
You want to be careful with anything that is blocking ventilation, especially while you are increasing humidity. It’s not just heat + humidity that increases URI risks, but poor ventilation also plays a big role. What do her urates look like? That is the best way to determine hydration status. All or mostly white is very well hydrated. There may be a bit of dark or orange at one end and that’s fine. All dark orange is dehydrated. You also want to look at your chameleon. Sunken eyes are either dehydrated or a very mad/stressed chameleon.

urates are mostly white/cream. Speckled with orange but not a whole lot. Overnight humidity was around 60-65% the whole time. The sheet doesn’t cover the whole thing and it’s just a thin cotton one as well. Her eyes don’t appear sunken to me or any different than from when I got her. The boyfriend is adamant about getting one of those fountain things and I’m trying not to. Also the living room we have a ceiling fan going the whole time, probably 10ft away from the enclosure.

urates are mostly white/cream. Speckled with orange but not a whole lot. Overnight humidity was around 60-65% the whole time. The sheet doesn’t cover the whole thing and it’s just a thin cotton one as well. Her eyes don’t appear sunken to me or any different than from when I got her. The boyfriend is adamant about getting one of those fountain things and I’m trying not to. Also the living room we have a ceiling fan going the whole time, probably 10ft away from the enclosure.
Ok, sounds like she’s well hydrated then and what you’re doing is working well.
Tell boyfriend absolutely not on a fountain. When many of us start, a fountain does sound like a great idea - hydrate our chameleons while adding some zen to our own environment. The problem is, that no matter how well you keep it clean, it will grow bacteria and possibly even mold. Most chameleons don’t even use them, as it would mean going down to the bottom of the enclosure, which they are hesitant to do. Even if a chameleon were to drink from a fountain, what kind of bacteria and such is it drinking? All it takes is a loose cricket walking on poo and then getting into the water…or doesn‘t even need to walk in poo as it will probably drown. For millennia wild chameleons have survived just fine lapping water off of leaves and without a fountain in sight. Show this to boyfriend and save the $$. If you want to add some zen to your own environment, buy a tabletop fountain for an end table or something. :)

Back
Top Bottom