New member here!

BrianD

Hi everyone. I am here doing some research before I take the plunge into the chameleon world. I actually see a few people I recognize from a dart frog forum I frequent which is pretty cool.
Anyhow, I am interested in mostly Jackson's and a couple of the pygmy species right now. Not that I don't love the others, but my frog room is kept on the cool side and since that's where I'll be housing my chams too, I think it's kinda counter productive to use heat lamps in the same room. I understand the Jackson's chams will do well in the standard temps of the room (65-78 degrees) and was hoping someone could point me towards a list of other cooler temperature loving chams.
Also, I was wondering about enclosures. Years ago I had a pair of Jackson's that I kept in screen enclosures, but I have seen a few exo terra style glass enclosures here and was wondering if that is a common practice with pygmy chams. I have always been under the impression that chameleons needed lots of air movement to stay healthy, but that makes keeping humidity high a problem. I know I can use plants and a misting system to keep it up, but a glass terrarium would be much easier.
Sorry if they are dumb newb questions. I read the sticky's, but didn't find an answer.

Welcome to the forum!

I haven't kept many Jackson's but the ones I did keep (xanths) so I'll leave it to someone else to comment on them.

The brevs should do fine in the exoterra glass cages with the screen lids and the vent holes under the doors.

Good to see you join the club! (you found the coolest, most helpful forum)

Even the cooler climate chameleons enjoy a good bask (household incandescent bulbs are perfect). The trick is a nice choice of temperature gradient to keep the Jax happy and healthy (warmth is needed for digestion) and the UVA the lights supply stimulate appetite. Skeeta and Pendergast (our Merus) spend the day cruising between lower branches for hunting and their favorite sunning spots. We go screen!

Pygs will do well in the glass houses (depending on the breed) as long as they still get good airflow and temp gradient. Research the type you are interested in.

Welcome to the forums. All the information that is chameleon rated can be found here. You can find alot of your questions already answered try out the search option at the top.

Thanks everybody. I have tried to find info on rhampholeon kerstenii, but very little info has been found. I read they are from savannahs and coastal lowlands around forest edges and they're typical habitat ranges from 70-77 with a light schedule of 10 off 14 on. This is all I could find. Nothing on housing. I will continue to read through the forums here and thank everyone for their welcomes and their help.

Back
Top Bottom