New here and new chameleon :)

Snakekid6996

Hey everyone. This is my first thread on this site :). I got a new chameleon Saterday. :) she is a juvenile veiled. Atm she is in a 15gallon tall (I know tanks are not good enclosures, but it's temerary). She has a monsoon rainfall system set to spray 3-4 times a day for 30-60sec. (a day being 12 hours, because everything is turned off at night). The air temp of the room she is in stays around 70 and her basking spot is around 90. The humidity goes way up to 80-90%, but quickly falls to about 70, then it gradually falls to about 40 before beige sprayed again. I have a towl as substrate to help suck up extra water so it doesn't build up as sitting water. Atm I'm still trying to get her adjusted to her new home and I'm feeding her about 5 or 6 crickets a day which she doesn't always eat all of them. I'm hoping to have her at about 10 a day in the next week or so. This is my first chameleon (and lizard :p I've grown up taking care of my snakes. I've had snakes for about 9 years) so tell me how You think this is and what I should do to improve.

Hello and welcome to the forums!
I myself am new here too. All I could say right now is to let your chameleon get used to its new home. Meaning don't handle your chameleon. If you don't see it eating, don't worry it is eating. It's probably just shy. Again your chameleon is getting used to its new home. I want to share this link with you because it is a care sheet for veiled chameleons and you will learn everything there is to know about these types of chameleons.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/chameleonsinmyhouse/395-veiled-chameleon-care-sheet.html

Hope this helps and good luck! Make sure to post some pics up of your chameleon and share it with us :)

Hello and welcome, im new as well with a baby veiled as well, and from what ive been told si far is basking temp should be a bit lower than 90 mid 80s i think. Other than that it all sounds good to me... Again welcome!

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new chameleon. I keep veileds and they are a pleasure to work with. Yes, you need to drop your temps. The basking temp should be in the low 80's. Females need to eat less and stay cooler so they don't have large clutches of eggs that shorten their life. Females can and often do lay eggs without a male even being around so around 4 to 5 months old you will need to provide her with a laying bin at all times. I'm attaching a couple of my blogs for you below. The first is about general care and a section at the bottom and a link about females. The second it about egg laying and the laying bin. I've also attached a video about how to make a laying bin. All my best to you and your girl and post pictures of her soon. :)
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/jannb/345-egg-laying-laying-bin.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video-77225/

I also think you should fill out the form below. A female veiled should be eating all food that you give her even if you over feed her.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

Hi and welcome! Good advice so far! I agree with the lower temps and caution against overfeeding of your little girl. Don't be too concerned within the first few days if she doesn't eat too much, as she may need to adjust to her new surroundings. As for your misting system, I had a monsoon system and was very happy, until the timer failed. I found numerous reports about this on the forums and was lucky to return it and purchase a more reliable system. I will say that Monsoon will most likely replace it with no problem, but I wanted a more reliable system. I use MistKing and many others use AquaZamp systems. Both are highly recommended and both are site sponsors. The basic MistKing is around $99 and not much more than the Monsoon. I would also suggest filling out the "How to ask for help" form so we can see how you are supplementing your new girl, what types of lighting you have, and any other tips we may have! Good luck with your first cham! ;)

Hi and welcome! Good advice so far! I agree with the lower temps and caution against overfeeding of your little girl. Don't be too concerned within the first few days if she doesn't eat too much, as she may need to adjust to her new surroundings. As for your misting system, I had a monsoon system and was very happy, until the timer failed. I found numerous reports about this on the forums and was lucky to return it and purchase a more reliable system. I will say that Monsoon will most likely replace it with no problem, but I wanted a more reliable system. I use MistKing and many others use AquaZamp systems. Both are highly recommended and both are site sponsors. The basic MistKing is around $99 and not much more than the Monsoon. I would also suggest filling out the "How to ask for help" form so we can see how you are supplementing your new girl, what types of lighting you have, and any other tips we may have! Good luck with your first cham! ;)

I can't return the monsoon, because I bought it used off eBay. It's working ok atm so hopefully it will stay that way.

Hope so, but if the timer goes on yours, you could always use an external timer like the ones used for lighting. Just use one that has multiple programs and you should be O.K. ;)

Back
Top Bottom