New Cham

Daughty

Im thinking about buying a new male Veiled Cham for my gf and i was wondering if the one i have now will hurt or attack the new baby Veiled? My male veiled i have now is about 17 or 18 months old. Would there be any worries if i put the two together?

this is his gf on his account, im just wondering. Cuz he has gotten me intrested in them now...so i was wondering if the new one got older if we could try and interact them? Im not to informed about what they can and cant do?

Two males will act aggressively towards each other. If you put a female in with the male then they will mate and reproduce and it could very well end up that one or both of them will suffer from the stress of being in the same cage....so IMHO its best to keep them in separate cages with a visual barrier between them if you place them side by side.

Yes I agree that even attempting to keep two chameleons together, let alone an aggressive one like a veiled. is trouble. Two males would most likely fight until one was dead.:( Better to have 2 cages and 2 happy veiled.:) jmo

I'll elaborate a little more on what Kiny and Laurie said;

Even if they wouldn't fight against each others, Calyptratus are very territorial, and it would most likely be a matter of time before one of them dies. For example, the most dominant one could keep following the less dominant one, to the point that the less dominant couldn't eat as much as he wants, couldn't sleep where and when he wants, and always fearing to be agressed.

Chronical stress is known to lead to immune deficiency, both in humans and chameleons. Since chameleons are having most of the time some parasites inside them (that usually aren't a problem when their immune system is working fine), if their immune system is failing then it could be fatal for them. They would also be prone into getting more sickness that normally wouldn't be a problem, like respiratory problems.

I hope that helps! :)

Yes, this helps me out alot, because I have been with my bf for 6 goin on 7 months and I have been very fascinated with his cham Titus. He didnt know very much about putting the older cham Titus in with a new one. And thank you all very much for answering my question. Also if any one knows where i can find a site or a breeder who is selling some cheap chams please let me know we are looking into getting another one possibly.

If you are short on money, you should wait before buying a new chameleon. To me, if you can't afford to go to a vet and buy some medicine then you should wait!

That being said, it depends what you are looking for and how much is "cheap" for you. One thing you should do is keep an eye on these two sections of the forum:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/sponsor-news/
and
https://www.chameleonforums.com/chameleons-sale/

You could find some great deals there.

Good luck!

Not to mention that if you put a 2 to 3 month old Veiled (or one small enough)in with the adult cham it WILL EAT IT.

Back
Top Bottom