New baby Veiled - not yet eating?

Rock75

Hello,

First post here and just want to give a quick thanks to the forum here. Been doing my research for a while now prior to getting our awesome little guy and found so much great info here. Have kept several different reptiles in the past and currently have a Leopard Geko named Freckles. This is our first Cham!

Here I will fill out the "How to ask for help"

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? - Male; approximately 2 months; 24 hours
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? - only handled to place him in his new home.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? - Trying to feed wax worms and meal worms; has 15 available in a feeding cup (not eating any); tried hand feeding this morning (not successful); gut loading with apple and sweet potato.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I have fluke's calcium with vitamin D3 (was going to dust daily, now I will get some calcium w/o d3 for daily dusting and use d3 bi-weekly); have some Reptivite vitamins (will dust alternate bi-weekly schedule from d3).
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? - Have a Little Dripper dripping onto live Schefflera; light misting one minute in evening and in morning; have witnessed drinking.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? -have not seen any feces.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. - have purchased from pet store, watched him there for a couple weeks and they were feeding him meal worms, seemed active and healthy each visit.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?- Glass Exo-Terra 18x18x24; screen top, front vents under doors.
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? - Exo-Terra uvb 100 cfl, 60w eco-terra daytime headlamp, housed in a dual dome; schedule will be 6am-6pm on a timer.
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? -max 90* at basking spot, usually around 81*, 62* at floor; lowest overnight temp 66.9*; temps monitored with digital thermometer that logs highest and lowest temps over last 24 hours.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? -current humidity is 40% at basking spot; humidity created with misting and live plants; humidity measured with digital hygrometer.
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? -yes, one Schefflera and one Ficus.
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Cage is located in front living room next to a window (indirect sunlight) there is an air purifier that my wife likes to use but it can be relocated if needed; area is medium-high traffic at times; top of cage is 32" above floor.
Location - Where are you geographically located? -live in western Washington State.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. - little guy has not eaten anything yet, has a feeder cup full of large mealworms and smaller wax worms (mealworms may be too big?) tried hand feeding this morning but no luck. Seems very active and exploring. have noticed twice some strange looking "yawning"/puffing up then exhaling.

What do you think? Please let me know any thing to change. All advise is greatly appreciated! Want to make sure he has the best environment. Most importantly, should I be concerned he is not eating yet? Is this normal for relocating a baby?

Thank you,
Robert

Attachments

• IMG_2712.jpg
    IMG_2712.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_2716.jpg
    IMG_2716.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_2721.jpg
    IMG_2721.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_2723.jpg
    IMG_2723.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_2724.jpg
    IMG_2724.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 140
Most likely he is just getting used to things, and that can sometimes take quite a few days before they will eat. Some will eat immediately and others will not. As long as he is active, and not sitting with his eyes closed, then I would not be too concerned just yet. Give him a little more time. I would suggest not trying to handle him for week or two either. They really are creatures of habit, and he is probably somewhat stressed being placed into a new environment.

Welcome to the forums and congrats on that little cutie! Most babies like small crickets and flies. Mealworms and waxworms are not the best feeders for chameleons. I never use them. Basking for babies should be in the low 80's. I keep the basking spot for babies between 82 and 83. He's going to need a new enclosure soon and I highly recommend an all screen enclosure for a veiled.

I have a blog for new keepers attached below.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

Also try feeding him some crickets. I would suggest removing the moss from the bottom also. He may injest that and that could pose a danger to him.

Thanks for the quick replies! ;)
Definitely active and not sleeping during the day ;) Will definitely take your advise to not handle for a couple weeks. It's going to be hard to resist though ;).

Carol - I did see him eat a piece of moss already (I will remove immediately). I had checked online somewhere though and saw it was ok for Chams. This is not so? maybe just adults?

Jann - Thanks for the link! Will go check out your blog right now ;)

Will be headed to get some small crickets later this morning. what size? smalls ok? or mediums? Just dust'em and let em roam free in there?

Oh yeah, as for the enclosure, definitely planning on a screened 24x24x36 or 48 as he gets bigger. Thought I would maybe have about a year in this one though? how quickly will he get big enough to need the new one?

Thanks again!
R

Yes moss, wood chips, rocks and things of that nature can cause blockages, that is why we suggest not using any substrate. Not recommended for adults either. I would get small crickets for him and feed them some good fresh fruits and vegetables. I primarily use Kale, mustard greens, carrots, apples, oranges, sweet potatoes...and I also use a commerical gutload for my crickets and superworms called Bug Burger. You can either cupfeed or let them roam. If you remove the moss, let some go and see if he will hunt them down.

Yes moss, wood chips, rocks and things of that nature can cause blockages, that is why we suggest not using any substrate. Not recommended for adults either. I would get small crickets for him and feed them some good fresh fruits and vegetables. I primarily use Kale, mustard greens, carrots, apples, oranges, sweet potatoes...and I also use a commerical gutload for my crickets and superworms called Bug Burger. You can either cupfeed or let them roam. If you remove the moss, let some go and see if he will hunt them down.

Thanks Carol! Quick question on the floor of the enclosure... "no substrate" just the glass bottom? or newspaper to cover for easier cleaning? What about round pebbles?

R

I recommend a screen cage right away especially with warmer weather coming up. It will be had to keep the temps down and not over heat him in glass.

It's best to use nothing on the cage floor and for sure not pebbles. Veileds eat everything at all ages and pebbles could kill him.

Thanks Jann ;) understood.

Looks like my initial worries of not eating were unfounded, just got back with some small crickets after a light dusting, removed all the moss and tossed in the crickets. He noticed them right away and started making his way to the floor. Got down to the base of the plants and along came an unsuspecting treat ;) he snatched it up lickity split ;)

Thanks everyone ;)

Looking forward to many years of fun with this little guy :)

Awe great news! So nice to see people asking for advice and actually following it!

Thanks Carol! Yeah not sure why anyone goes to the trouble to ask if they don't listen :confused: oh well... ya can't reach'em all LOL

My wife and daughter are just in love with this little guy! You should hear all the oohs and aahhs! lol

Just offered a couple crickets from my hand and he snatched 'em right up! Ate three of the little buggers :D how many would you expect him to eat in a sitting? offered a fourth but he shy'd away on that one. Honestly I thought three was a lot! lol what a piggy haha

Thanks again everyone! :):D;):cool:

Oh Yeah!! I almost forgot! My daughter picked a name, everyone meet Leon!!

Attachments

• IMG_2719.jpg
    IMG_2719.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 173
Honestly, the babies can eat 20 small ones with no problem. I would just offer him about 15 a day and go from there. Another good feeder is silkworms. You cannot get them at pet stores usually and they have to be ordered online. We have a sponsor called Coastal Silkworms where you can purchase them. You will be surprised what they can eat, once they get comfortable! And yes, they are very interesting little creatures and easy to fall in love with! If you do let then loose and he does not eat them, remove them before you turn the lights outs. They may try and bite your chameleon.

So, things have been going great. Then something seems "off" this morning. Leon seems a bit weak (walking around very slowly and shaky) and looks possibly a bit dehydrated (haven't actually seen him drinking off the leaves in a while). He gets misted twice - three times a day, humidity ranges from 20-90%, temps 60-67 at night, 83-88 at day. He gets breakfast every morning and comes right down to the front of his enclosure to dig in. This morning he just does not seem interested at all. Here are some pics. Any thoughts? Is this normal on occasion?
Been feeding about 20 small crickets a day hand feeding 4-8 mealworms and wax worms a day. Still dusting daily with calcium.
Someone please tell me I am being paranoid.

Attachments

• IMG_2755.JPG
    IMG_2755.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_2756.JPG
    IMG_2756.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_2759.JPG
    IMG_2759.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_2765.JPG
    IMG_2765.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_2773.JPG
    IMG_2773.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 122
ok... now i am getting scared! he is just laying on his stick kind of sideways and turning a bit dark. he tried to turn around and lost his balance and fell off. He was able to catch himself and climb back up but is very unsteady. I am looking for a herp vet in the Tacoma WA area if anyone knows of one.

Attachments

• IMG_2775.jpg
    IMG_2775.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 132
I wish I had some help for you, but we just got our first veiled a week ago so all of this is still new to me. I wonder if the big drops and raises in humidity is affecting him some how.

Hope you are able to find a vet and everything turns out okay.

Thanks Patsy

Yeah I was curious about the huge swings in humidity as well. Seems impossible to keep it steady even though it is not all screen. I may have found a vet nearby and if things keep getting worse there is definitely a road trip in store for little Leon.

We have screen cage and had a real hard time with humidity. We ended up covering 3 sides with a shower curtain and we have a dripper that drips by his favorite spot along with a mister that mists him a few times a day. Humidity has been stable between 45-60%.

I notice that my guy will sit sideways too every now and then but to me it seems like he does it when I'm looking at him so I think it's because he gets scared. He's never fallen or slipped though, that's kinda scary.

Rocky he looks good and does not look dehydrated, atleast by his eyes anyways. On occasion they may loose their grip and fall. And they will turn dark and lay flat to one side when they are basking or if they are scared of something. I would not freak out just yet. You are doing everything properly and MBD(metabolic bone disease) takes awile to develop although I do not think he has it. Falling can be a sign of it, but his limbs look fine! As far as the humdity, you want it to fluctuate and not always be real high.

THANKS CAROL!! We had to leave for a few hours and I was worried crazy. Just got home to find him looking back to normal :) basking in the sun! Will definitely still be keeping an eye on him but I think we can probably chalk this up to "new cham daddy over reacting" lol

Back
Top Bottom