Nesting Container?

I use a plastic flower pot 11" tall and 10" wide filled with a mixture of moist coconut fiber and play sand.

i had seen some articles on the net that 8 inches would be fine.

yesterday i set up a 8 inches tall by 8 inches power pot with mixture of soil and sand.

soil and sand mixture aslo was mentioned in few places online.

that is fine right?

hey

she layed the eggs, about 30 of them. I have the eggs in a shoebox with same moist soil and sand mix.

few questions that need fast anwers.

1) if room temp is around 75-82f do i need any other heat source?
2) how much moisture?
3) I have the eggs slighly covered with soil/sand mix, about 2-3mm that should be fine? if in nature they are 12 inches in ground 2-3mm shouldn't hurt them. right?

i did mine like this
full

room temps right now72-80, i might switch to a incubater for a steady 78 a few months in..both ways have had plenty of success..

i used vermiculte for bedding its mold resistant..i added water so that when pinched my fingers would be moist(barely a drop of water) im a little over a month in and i havent had any problems as of yet ,with mold or drying out... maybe some more experienced breeders with a consistant track record will chime in with their way...

Last edited by a moderator:
For years I have used vermiculite to incubate them in. I found sand (and other substrates) to be too hard to control the moisture levels in.

i bought my vermiculite at home depot, as for moving the eggs... i would wait until they have "set" at lest 3-4 days and then move them very,very carefully..but on the other hand, i know some people have used the sand/soil mixture to incubate in and have had success..hopefully a more experienced breeder will enlighten...hope that helps...

hey

she layed the eggs, about 30 of them. I have the eggs in a shoebox with same moist soil and sand mix.

few questions that need fast anwers.

1) if room temp is around 75-82f do i need any other heat source?
2) how much moisture?
3) I have the eggs slighly covered with soil/sand mix, about 2-3mm that should be fine? if in nature they are 12 inches in ground 2-3mm shouldn't hurt them. right?

When you say shoe box I assume you mean the plastic ones with a top, right? I use vermeculite as well and transfered them very carefully with a plastic spoon (I dont trust my fingers to grip that lightly). You can get an indoor outdoor thermometor, where theres a probe to put in with the eggs so you wont have to open the box to see the temp. I've only done Panthers so not to sure one the temp for Veileds.

Back
Top Bottom