My first live plant layout my first Cham any thoughts

Samdwich

Hi
First of all I introduce myself
I'm Samuel from guadalajara Mexico and this is my first time keeping any kind of lizards, I'm very experienced with fish and corals but never lizards.

Past couple of months Petco had a sale and the chams where 50% discount, so I decided to get one since I'm no longer having coral tanks, I has between a jack and veiled finally I decided to get veiled cuz the helpful guy TOLD ME I COULD KEEP THEM IN PAIRS (wuuuahahahahaahha I've learned later that this is not true but I fell for it) now I know that I need to sell it or at some point separate them.

It has been a really rare experience but I like it, my chams seems to eat like pigs and growing fast, they seem to get along great until now of course.....

I firstly had plastic plants but today I changed to live plants thanks to a thread I found thanks the boardie chameleopatrick and his why to have real plants thread.

I went to Home Depot and some plant sellers round here and got some plants, I know it's not the best lay out but it's my first time trying, also I couldn't found many things that chameleopatrick has in its cage like some plants and rock pots that can hang at the crystals, I will keep looking and hope I can found something similar.

Sorry for the crystal I need to clean it :p
Here are some pics

fcf5066f56e5a4b8897307cb840d7499.jpg
8d06c0ad104395abeb5c4a545b306d90.jpg
0b3d0d160b51e50130a9e0c0dc819e59.jpg
b6284955dafd7dd43d5c8836ea991b6a.jpg
8150ced62dcf6f4b22597d79a630330b.jpg
2593d0c6059891b39d8256727624dc62.jpg

hi, welcome to the forums like to applaud your reading and joining the forums for you new guys and getting live plants cause they are great. but you have next to no climbing branches in there, you need some sort of vines and branches going horizontally. the water bowl is necessary chameleons dont drink free standing water but water droplets running on the lives and sides. other things i notice are: do you have uv bulb? that temperature tape is probably not very accurate, you will at some point definitely need a larger tank usually 24x24x48 inches high. ideally least 2 sides screen is best not to say its the only option, if using glass it should be a terrarium with proper ventilation. lastly are the lillies safe for chameleons?

not to put you down but rather help get you on the right track since pet stores usually misinform customers. you should fill out the how to ask for help form so we get an idea of what you were told for your care and husbandry and how to correct it accordingly

Thanks for the info jamjam I'll take those lilies out!
And let me check and copy paste what's the link you provided me
Again thanks in advance for being helpful guys

i could be wrong about the lillies, popular choices are schefflera arboricola, hibiscus, pothos and ficus. i use 3 of those 4. no problem with the help fill out that form and hopefully more people including myself will give you and help, tips, and suggestions. :)

Welcome to the forums! I can tell by the pics that you'll have a lot of fun with this project. Unfortunately, like jam said, pet stores - especially big name stores that specialize in dogs and cats, are known to misinform. Sometimes it's just a lack of knowledge or an attempt to get you to purchase things you don't necessarily need.

You're going to want to separate those cuties, sooner rather than later. Mesh cages are best, especially for first timers. What you essentially want is a cage that's tall (about 4 feet) and about 2 feet wide (per each cham). Fill them with lots of chameleon-safe live plants (to hide in and drink from), tons of climbing branches too, and top them off with a tube 5,0 uvb light, and a heat lamp on one side of the cage. The important temp to monitor is the basking temperature, which is the spot under the heat lamp. It should be about 80*F, and the branch the chameleon sits on should be about 12 inches away from the light. Mesh is good because it provides hot and cool places for your chams to get to. They like a variation, and it's important in their digestion and overall health. Inexpensive digital thermometers are usually pretty accurate. The thing with glass is that it's easy to make the environment too humid, with not enough ability to ventilate and dry out between mistings. Spikes of 50 and 60 percent are good.

Chams were my first reptile too, and everything I've learned was from here. Mr.Pink is over a year old now, and is doing well. You've come to the right place!

Back
Top Bottom