My First Cham Rescue

ChamNoob

i just got my new cham today, im not sure how old he is but ill ask the former owner, he had it for 4-5 months, its a veiled chameleon, it was in a cage WAY to small and its eyes are sunken in to the point im not sure it can see behind itself. i now have it in a 3 foot tall cage and gave it alot to drink. any suggestions on helping it out ? ill exept any advice ty

Do a forum seach on the blod "Raising Kitty the Veiled Chameleon". It will help you a LOT! I don't have the link right handy. First thing is to mist, mist, mist. It will take a while before the cham's reserves are built back up...dehydration can really cause all sorts of kidney problems, eye problems, and won't improve overnight.

silk worms will help hydrate him/her and if the prevoius owner didnt properly supplement it will help prevent MBD from developing

take him/her outside to get some sun light if the weather permits

thanks alot, ill be buying about 2 dozen large silkworms tomorrow and probobly set up a little free range outside for it. also. she is very agile to humans .. as soon as i try to pic her up she will ge really dark and gape

thanks alot, ill be buying about 2 dozen large silkworms tomorrow and probobly set up a little free range outside for it. also. she is very agile to humans .. as soon as i try to pic her up she will ge really dark and gape

It's possible she could have eggs. Do you have a laying bin for her?

oh crap. i never even thaught of that thank you very much, ill get a laying bin in there ASAP. im not even Sure if its male or female but from all my former research i think it looks more female

Females do not have knob-like spurs on the back side of their hind feet.

By free range outdoors I hope you are planning on some sort of cage...a cham can disappear really fast if you take your eyes of them. They don't like feeling they are exposed to the view of predators and will head for bushes or trees.

I wouldnt start putting that cham outside until all the dehydration issues are dealt with first. Hornworms are another great feeder for dehydrated animals. Id try putting the cham in a lukewarm shower. Whenever you clean the cage you can put him/her on a plant and lightly have the shower mist him for 15-20 mins. Do that 3 times a week til hes back to normal.

Grapes are great for dehydration. You have to watch how many you give her though because they have a lot of sugar in them.

Back
Top Bottom