mt meru jacksons chams,how do i stimulate breeding??

cacoonkitty

hi all!!, i am soon to be getting my two C.B mt merue montanus jackson chams or dwarf chams if you like, they are 1 year olds ,a male and unrelated female to hopefull be his mate in the near future, they will be kept in seperate vivs so as not to stress each other out ,my question is how do go about starting to breed them, i am experianced with reps but am new to breeding chams so what would i do ?? any info would be great thanks guys!!:D:confused:

Hold the female outside the male's cage. Look at their reactions. If she doesn't show rejection/agressive behavior and he shows that he recognizes her as a female (head bobbing, non-agressive behavior) then the female can be placed into the male's cage. They should be fine together until the female shows the male that she is no longer receptive. I usually check on them off and on to make sure that things are going well between them.

oh ok thanks that sounds simple enough, once they have mated ...hopefully that is,i asume i place her back in her own enclosure, then what?, i know they are live bearers, so how long is she gravid for? and i know its emportant she gets extra nutrients for the production of her young so what is the advice with regards to this guys and dont forget to let me know what temps you are keeping yours at!! any pictures of your enclosures would be fantastic!! :D??

Mt. Merus are known to be difficult to induce to copulate in captivity, and it comes down to individuals. Before you even think about breeding them, I would focus on getting them established in their new homes. Once that has happened, you can begin exploring the receptivity of your female, although it's not as simple as it may sound. Their behavior is highly complex and an initial reaction (of apparent rejection) may not be truly indicative of its receptivity, and a successful copulation may involve gradual introductions, frequent visual encounters, and in some cases, even short, highly monitored cohabitation.

Good luck,

Fabián

hiya, yes i certainly wont be trying straight away with them to breed , i will be waiting until they are both truly settled so quite a few months, i will be keeping them in quite large seperate vivs so they have plenty of room to climb around and explore there new homes,the vivs are about 3.5 foot high by 2 foot deep by 3 foot wide and all live planted with external humidifiers plumbed in , i will be keeping them at around 68 ambient day temps and a drop at nigh, plus around 80% humidity, does this sound ok ?? and do i need to change the tems ect :Dto stimulate breeing??

Hi. The room where mine are kept ranges from 70-72 during the day, and can drop down to 55 at night during cooler times of the year. My adults actually spent last night outside, where temperatures reached the low 40s (they will soon be moved back inside), so I would certainly place more emphasis on your upper limit. On the other hand, mine LOVE to bask in the morning and sometimes late in the afternoon, so be sure to provide a spotlight.

Look forward to seeing photos!

F

ok ,i am ment to be getting them tommorow from the breeder, and the viv is just about done, getting the glass sliding doors deliverd later today, i have just checked the temps in there wooden sided viv and its saying ambient air at 70.1F, and the basking area which is in one top corner is in the 80s, i have a external humidifier on a timer plummed into the cool end so they can get to a cooler tem if required how oftern shall i put it on, i was tinking 15 mis every 3 hours???? and i will mist them heavily in the morning and in the evening and more if im in, they both will be housed seperatly so as not to stree them out and they have a live ficcus tree each and branches to climb on all that have been washed and plants re potted in clean un fertilized soil, is there anything else i should be doing...apart from feeding of course.....?

Back
Top Bottom