Moving the chameleons outside

Pilotman800

I live in Miami. With the weather cooling down so its not unbearably hot, I was wondering if it would be okay to move Peaches and Waldo outside. They both have reptibreezes so that scares me a little. Its not the strongest thing so I wonder if anything (Like a hawk) would be able to rip it open. Do you think its safe? I have two dogs, so I don't know if that would scare anything off.

Carol has posted about a hawk pouncing on the top of her cage :eek: If your talking long term I would probably have a hardwood cloth barrier or something like that. Flux lizard (one word) has been housing reptiles outside for many many years, he has had a problem with raccoons (until he raised the cages 2 feet off the ground) fireflies (deadly if they get in the cage) I know he has constant misters and a tarp to provide shade at all times. I would talk to him, and take precautionary measures for certain types of things... But that's me ;)

Oh yeah! I talked to Carol about her hawk experience, but I forgot she had one land on her cage! That FREAKS me out!

Oh.... No racoons get into my yard, LOL! My dog.... Erm.... Lets just say that if anything with fur besides my other dog goes in my backyard..... They're done. Either way, I would still take precautionary measures like you recommended to be safe! I don't want anything bad happening.

He said once he raised the cages off the ground he never had a problem with the coons again :)

I would definitely put some sort of screening several inches (maybe a foot) above the cages to prevent birds from actually getting on the cage.

I'm not really sure that a bird big enough to be a problem could get its beak or talons into the mesh (it's pretty fine) but you don't want your chameleon to have a predator bird inches away....that just can't be good.

He said once he raised the cages off the ground he never had a problem with the coons again :)
I actually have the PERFECT spot in mind! We have stone table built into the floor outside. We NEVER use it, so BOOM. Thats where they would go. :)
I would definitely put some sort of screening several inches (maybe a foot) above the cages to prevent birds from actually getting on the cage.

I'm not really sure that a bird big enough to be a problem could get its beak or talons into the mesh (it's pretty fine) but you don't want your chameleon to have a predator bird inches away....that just can't be good.

Thats a good idea. Time to search the hardware stores for metal screening!

Yeah, hell no. My babies could probably take on a cat if they were full grown, but no way in hell a hawk. If flip if I saw one of my chams cage. Having the metal screening would make me feel a lot better about it.

I have several outdoor Koi ponds and we use a stretchable nylon net over to keep aerial and scavenger animals from getting to them. I believe you can get it at garden centers as well.

I have several outdoor Koi ponds and we use a stretchable nylon net over to keep aerial and scavenger animals from getting to them. I believe you can get it at garden centers as well.

Yeah, bird netting I saw it at home depot the other day ;)

That stone table sounds perfect!

Back
Top Bottom