Moving across the country

Elijah

Hi all,

I'm moving from Illinois to the Boston area later this month, and was wondering if my moving plan for my Oustalet's is a good idea.

Since it's a long drive (18 hours) that will have to be split into two days, I was considering keeping him in a dark and hopefully comfortable environment for most of the trip to minimize stress, then perhaps take him out for a while during the day when it's not my turn to drive so he can get some sun and eat/drink. The temperatures on the way up should be fairly reasonable, definitely no hotter than his cage, as we aren't exactly in the heat of summer. The vehicle he'll be in would be air-conditioned as well.

I definitely want to avoid shipping him, seeing as I can't overnight him as it's a two-day trip, and there's no telling when he would arrive (I wouldn't want him to arrive before me). Any ways that you guys would change my plan?

Since it's a long drive (18 hours) that will have to be split into two days, I was considering keeping him in a dark and hopefully comfortable environment for most of the trip to minimize stress, then perhaps take him out for a while during the day when it's not my turn to drive so he can get some sun and eat/drink. The temperatures on the way up should be fairly reasonable, definitely no hotter than his cage, as we aren't exactly in the heat of summer. The vehicle he'll be in would be air-conditioned as well.

I definitely want to avoid shipping him, seeing as I can't overnight him as it's a two-day trip, and there's no telling when he would arrive (I wouldn't want him to arrive before me). Any ways that you guys would change my plan?

IMHO this is totally doable. He isn't going to suffer from lack of UV or food for 2 days especially if he's in a dark quiet box for the day's drive. I have traveled with a cham overnight without much trouble. Plan an enclosed box with a stable perch inside and a way to provide some humidity such as a damp towel in the bottom.

A friend of mine took 2 chams on a 3-day move by touring motorcycle and they did fine with good planning. They spent the days inside ventilated plastic jars in insulated daypacks, and in small collapsible Reptariums at the motel. They planned shorter drives so the chams had time to bask, drink, and sleep at the motel. They put the cages in the shower for long warm drinking sessions. But, as you'll have a car you could just use the Reptarium or a birdcage and cover it while driving.

Back
Top Bottom