More Eggs?

BKO Overdrive

Established Member
So I've never seen this before and was wondering if anyone else had ran into this. The first time my female vield laid eggs she had 28. The second time (3 weeks ago) she laid eggs she had 37. Now I cleaned her cage gave her a new tree in her cage but I started to see holes being duh and her nose was full of dirt. Well mid morning I woke up and I caught her digging a hole again in her laying bin. She doesn't go all the way down just a small hole then goes back up. Does she have more eggs or is she trying to look for the ones she laid. We we're concerned that maybe she had more and was trying to get rid of the few left she had. She didn't do this the first time she laid eggs. Any idea?

So I've never seen this before and was wondering if anyone else had ran into this. The first time my female vield laid eggs she had 28. The second time (3 weeks ago) she laid eggs she had 37. Now I cleaned her cage gave her a new tree in her cage but I started to see holes being duh and her nose was full of dirt. Well mid morning I woke up and I caught her digging a hole again in her laying bin. She doesn't go all the way down just a small hole then goes back up. Does she have more eggs or is she trying to look for the ones she laid. We we're concerned that maybe she had more and was trying to get rid of the few left she had. She didn't do this the first time she laid eggs. Any idea?
Pictures please. And fill out the ask for help form.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Female Vield Cham, 2 1/2 Years
  • Handling - Only when needed, she doesn't like to be touched
  • Feeding - Feed Crickets / every other day of 8, calcium w/o d3 for majority and calcium w/d3 and vitamins every weekend on a rotating schedule.
  • Supplements - ReptiCal
  • Watering - Automatic Mister 4 times a day for 2 min each time
  • Fecal Description - White, slightly yellow urates. Healthy poops, has been tested for parasites and came out negative
  • History - No health issue since if had her.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Large Screen Reptibreeze Cage
  • Lighting - Zoo Med Large compact 5.0 Reptisun Schedule is 12 on 12 off
  • Temperature - 89 at basking area, 70 ambient
  • Humidity - 60-70%
  • Plants - Live Ficus
  • Placement - Locating in living room on a 2 ft table.
  • Location - Lafayette,LA
Issue:

Please see above, ive never had any issues and i cant really see of any, shes never done this before so im just curious if this is normal for female cham after laying eggs to go back and dig a few holes, almost as if she is digging test holes.

@CJ's Exotics

Here is the size of the hole she digs, ususally when she lays eggs she goes all the way to the bottom

Attachments

• IMG_20171217_163337.jpg
    IMG_20171217_163337.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 112
The substrate looks dry...but that's just a side comment. Also don't let her see you watching her dig...it makes them abandon the hole and if it happens often enough it can lead to egg binding.

How long was it between the two clutches?

You said..."is she trying to look for the ones she laid"...they don't do that...

Those look like test holes. I'm wondering if she has an egg that was not layed since she layed 3 weeks ago. Get some more opinions.

@kinyonga She laid her eggs almost 3 weeks ago, i took all the eggs out and put the laying bin back in, now 3 weeks later shes starting to dig again, I also did add more water in that bin as as i took the picture noticed how dry she is. As she is right now, shes head first super deep in the bin almost like she is going to lay more eggs soon. I didn't think they went back to look at the eggs but i had to ask to make sure

@BKO Overdrive said.... "The first time my female vield laid eggs she had 28. The second time (3 weeks ago) she laid eggs she had 37"....I asked..."How long was it between the two clutches?' and you said..."She laid her eggs almost 3 weeks ago"...did I miss the answer to the question about how long between the two clutches??

@kinyonga sorry i was not clear my fault. The very first time she laid eggs she was about 1 year and 4 months old, she had laid 27 eggs. Now she is 2 years and 6 months old and she laid 37. She laid the 37 eggs on Thanksgiving Day (November 23rd 2017) She is now starting to dig test holes again like shown in the picture, its only been 3 and half weeks since she last laid eggs and shes already acting like she has more, so i was wondering, if sometimes do they not lay all there eggs, or maybe she could not lay all of them and she is trying to finish. Ive never seen or heard of this so thats where im at currently. Last i saw her, this morning, she was super deep in her bin almost as if she was about to lay more eggs. I left her alone and came to work, I have no gone home yet to check on her.

Back
Top Bottom