midwest chameleon keepers?

drcrossfire

Avid Member
Just wondering who on here is from the Midwest? Where are you from, what do you have, and have you encountered any challenges with our wacky winters?

I'm from outside Chicago, with lots if panthers.

I found that my house was never getting warm enough for them, so I had to build a more insulated room to keep them :p

I live in Manhattan Kansas. I have a Jackson,Veil and Pygmys. We don't have lake effect weather like you. They all live in the hottest part of the house. the only hard part is keeping feeders alive.

im from chicago.i have my cage next to the window,so i put a ceramic heater at the bootom of the window facing up,to help with any cold coming through.i used to have major problems with humidity.with forced air my house was bone dry.i now have ahumidifier and mistking. i have one young panther.

I'm by Omaha in a very old house. Both of mine are in the two coolest rooms of the house. Don't have to many problems with temps. Once in the beginning of fall this year we forgot to run the heat and it got down to 50 brrrr. My female didn't seem to care but my male didn't look so good for half a day.

I live in Chicago, Wrigleyville. Don't have a chameleon yet. Will be getting it after the new year. I have torts, Uro, frogs, bird, cat, dog, fish. Glad to see quite a few others from my area on hear. I hope I won't have a heat problem with him. He will also be by the window. I will probably have a CHE for night time. I only keep our house temp at 70 during the day and 68 at night. Might be a little chilly for him. Any comments on the temps?

Im from Chicago, live in Elmwood park which is basically still the city. I have a young panther that lives in my basement. Night temp there is around 65, during the day his basking light brings up the temps in the cage. i was afraid i would have trouble with the cold but i have heard panthers are fine down to even the 50s at night as long as you provide proper daytime temp.

I'm in the not so wonderful South Dakota. I live in the far N.E. part of the state, so we get the harshest of the cold here. I have kept Chameleons and other reptiles in my old house that we just moved out of last weekend perfectly fine. With the help of a humidifier, air purifer, and space heater it kept everything perfect in my room. Now that we are in a new house on the lake, I am wondering what things I will encounter here. It's nice to see some people a bit closer to South Dakota. In six months I'll be moving to Minneapolis, MN. I can not wait to meet more Chameleon keepers there.

Getting all that stuff worked out before hand. Glad it won't be too cold, ya:D. I bet my renters would disagree.

Cincinnati here.. no issues with the winter weather yet but concerned about the chams if the power was to go out. I'm thinking about a natural gas generator for my house if I can find someone to install one for a reasonable price.

From Northern KY, with 3 panthers. Keep mine in a garage attached to the downstairs. Using a large space heater and basking lights. Stays in the 80's usally. But this winter has been pretty much like spring. Same as last year, so no problems as of yet. Keeping basking lights in a good spot has been a challenge though, with 6ft tall cages.

Houston Texas here. I actually had my chams outside up until last weeks cold front blew thru. We were in the mid 80's up til about dec 15th this yr. Sure makes things alot easier when you dont have to worry about central heat drying everything out. Last yrs winter was pretty mild also, but not as warm as this yr.

This thread still alive? im new and near wichita KS, i have a clutch of 30 panthers that are set to hatch in about a month or so

I do not have a chameleon yet, but I am in the planning and gathering stages right now. Looking at the July time frame to get one.

I am in the Minneapolis, MN area. I have yet to find other chameleon owners in the Twin Cities so hopefully I will find some.

I'm new to Chameleons and live in Eden Prairie, MN just outside of Minneapolis. My kids got me a Jacksons for Christmas to add to some Anoles and native Grey Tree Frogs that free range in my greenhouse. All seem to get along fine. In fact, I found an Anole basking on the Chams back yesterday!

I'm in Central Ohio. The main issue I run into is humidity. The furnace can dry out the air quickly. However I've found a cool mist humidifier in whatever room the cham is in helps immensely. Also, the MistKing seems to do a fine job as well.

I do not have a chameleon yet, but I am in the planning and gathering stages right now. Looking at the July time frame to get one.

I am in the Minneapolis, MN area. I have yet to find other chameleon owners in the Twin Cities so hopefully I will find some.

St. Louis park reporting in :) there are actually quite a few cham keepers in the twin cities. They keep popping up now and then on the forum.

Back
Top Bottom