Mantis

wilfred

I saw this guy hanging on a florescent patio light outside. I got all excited and then I realized that he was about as big as Mogley (who is only 3 months old). I almost captured him anyway.

Random thought I had was, what if I put him in the cage with my panther chameleon? One cool thing that might happen is that any freerange crickets I might not find would be eaten by him, because I think he is nocturnal, at least it was after 12am when I saw him. I have no idea if it would stress my chameleon out it was just a thought.:confused:

Sorry they are phone pictures.

either way your cham is going to try and eat him and if it is over an inch and 1/4" in length, he just might recieve a nasty tongue bite in doing so,

Idk my chameleon gets mad and gapes when I put a superworm that is 3/4 of an inch long near him. This mantis was at least 4 inches long. Which is about the length of my chameleon including tail.

If he's as big as the cham you run the risk of the mantis trying to eat him, they are aggressive feeders. I'd say put him back outside.

chams love baby mantise, but once over an inch and a half or so they are capable of delivering a pretty nasty bite , a 4" mantise could take a chuck right out of a chams tongue

chams love baby mantise, but once over an inch and a half or so they are capable of delivering a pretty nasty bite , a 4" mantise could take a chuck right out of a chams tongue

This is good to know, I have read it before but never from a trust worthy source. I figured the babies would be okay, but wondered about larger ones. I figured the bigger ones could deliver a bite.

I keep mantis as pets. Those that are doomed due to a poor shed I feed off to my chameleons. No chameleon has ever refused one. Obviously all prey should be of an appropriate size.

If you do decide to feed them off to your cham I would recommend you to take off their front legs as they are very sharp and can hurt your cham.

-Clemonde

If you do decide to feed them off to your cham I would recommend you to take off their front legs as they are very sharp and can hurt your cham.

-Clemonde

When you do take off the front legs, it is easiest and quickest to do so with scissors. I have tried other methods and they were no pretty or successful.

Back
Top Bottom