Mantis Munching on Dubia

Dave Weldon

Avid Member
Howdy All,

As my wife and I drove away from a birthday party late last night, she exclaimed that there's a giant ant on the windshield! :D. I pulled over and scooped him into a large cup. We had a nice photo session today for which I rewarded him with a couple of my hand-raised blaptica dubia feeder insects. It only took him a handful of minutes to devour these young 1/2" feeders (an hour apart). There wasn't a trace of either Dubia left after he was finished munching :D. I'll be re-homing him soon with a friend that raises mantids. In the meantime, he's got a nice screened enclosure with a live plant to hang-out on.

Funny, I had to miss the SBCK field trip in order to go the birthday party but was rewarded with this instead :eek:.

Canon 5D3, 100mm-L Macro, 580exII with custom homemade flash modifier.

I absolutely LOVE these photographs! Well done. I plan on getting a great camera at the beginning of this next year and I am still trying to figure which I want. Yours is definitely a contender :p Primarily between various Nikons and Canons...I used both for my job in the Marine Corps :) Again...very awesome!

Howdy All,

Thanks for the kind comments :).

Mat3o: Thanks for the ID! :eek:. I thought the males were the drab tan colored and the females had more green. Guess I got that wrong :(.

Back
Top Bottom