mantis hatch

xanthoman

Avid Member
For anyone who has been following this years mantis ooth in my public albums, they have finally hatched at 3 am about 22 days after being setup, and there is a butload of them, aft least 200. If the give away oothe hasn't hatched yet, I would expect it to hatch within the next couple of days.
Will be updating and posting care tips as the hatch progresses, stay tuned for more exciting xantho stuff in the coming weeks. Xantho;)

Attachments

• IMG_20120510_040434.jpg
    IMG_20120510_040434.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 177
Looking forward to it man! Is that egg crate in there?!?
i recently had another ooth hatch, and half of them drown.....AGAIN! :mad:

how are drowning them????

are you using an auto mister???

No, I set my cups up with a folded papertowel in the bottom and a bit of fake plant for them to crawl around on. Mine always seem to hatch within an hour or two of misting.. They somehow make their way around the edges of the papertowel where a tiny bit of water pools, then drown

No, I set my cups up with a folded papertowel in the bottom and a bit of fake plant for them to crawl around on. Mine always seem to hatch within an hour or two of misting.. They somehow make their way around the edges of the papertowel where a tiny bit of water pools, then drown

i would try just handmisting them.

I just use a handmister and mist twice a day. none of mine died from drowning.

Excellent!

Good to see the xanthoman still kicking. ;)

Looks like that is a bamboo skewer, impaled into an ooth, and egg crate.

(Coldblooded, keep them like this:

IMG_0084.jpg IMG_0085.jpg

I dont ever wet the ooths directly. Just wet the rag every time it goes bone dry, and ring most of the water out. Keep it in a fairly warm place. You wont ever have water pool, ever. :))

watering mantis

There are some watering examples in my cf albums. You only want to fog the cage ever so slightly, avoiding any real drops. A single full size drop of water can drown dozens of freshly hatched mantids. Even the drops in my watering examples are too big for newly hatched nymphs ( those mantis are at least a week old). You can also just make a mound of wet paper towels for them to crawl on. Don't make it a ball, cause if you move or pickup the cage, it can roll over dozens of them. Just a micro spritz is all you need, maybe one squeeze on the finest mist you have. If you can see actual full size dtops of water, you are going to start losing them by the dozens.
There's dozens of ways you can do it, they actually hatch quite well inside a paper bag in an aq. Once they hatch and are mostly clear of the bag. You can just mist the bag. I just did it that way cause that's what I had handy.
Ps, hot glued to the back, not impailed just for refference

Last edited:
of the 200 or so that I had hatch on 4/29/12, all but 20 or so have perished...3 or 4 of these suckers are huge already!

If you want to raise the majority of them, you need to start dividing them into smaller groups by about 10 days, by one mth. they should be just a few per container, if not solo. You can use anything, food containers, water or apple juice bottles etc. Just a few 1/16" holes for air and some furniture. The bigger ones are almost certain the females.

Last edited:
how do yuo sex them?

I have 3.

2 are roughly the same size and all brown, about 2-3 inches long.

the 3rd one is only about 1.5 inches, and has green legs brown body.

The females have 6 segments to the abdomen with the end one being large, males have 7or 8 segments with the last one being smaller than on the females.
Haven't learned how to post links with my new droid phone, but there is a sticky in the breeding forum of mantidforum.net that has great pics and more complete info, but you will have to join to view the thread.
also. Grown females are several times the size of the males, so if you have any that had a significant size difference, its usually a pretty safe bet as they get older, that the larger ones are the females
Many cf members are also members of mantidforums.net

Ps. If you join, be aware that not all mantis keepers are thrilled with the idea of using mantids as feeders lol.

Last edited:
The females have 6 segments to the abdomen with the end one being large, males have 7or 8 segments with the last one being smaller than on the females.
Haven't learned how to post links with my new droid phone, but there is a sticky in the breeding forum of mantidforum.net that has great pics and more complete info, but you will have to join to view the thread.
Many cf members are also members of mantidforums.net

Ps. If you join, be aware that not all mantis keepers are thrilled with the idea of using mantids as feeders lol.
Hmm got it. If i posted photos of the 3 i have, could you sex them?
HAHAHA! Why else would you raise a mantis? :D

I raised some as feeders. but the 3 i have left are my pets now. :D

Probably, if you posted really good macro images using bb image code. But if you go to the breeding and nymph care of mantidforum.net then they have extremely good images that could probably give you a more conclusive idea than I could, but it depends on the quality of your images. So that would be my recommendation, check out the images at mantidforum and if your still not clear then post the best macro( prferrably underside ) abdomenn pics you got using bb image code for large pics, and I'll give it a shot
Also, the males tend to have straighter, narrower abdomens than the females. The females tend to be kind of wide through the hips lol

Some wild assumptions. If they are all the same size, then they are probably the same sex. Compare the end segments of their abdomen to see if they are identical. If they were the larger ones out of your hatch or are over 2" or have a wide ass, then they are likely female,
By L-4 (larval in stage or instar4), the difference should be significant.

Last edited:
Probably, if you posted really good macro images using bb image code. But if you go to the breeding and nymph care of mantidforum.net then they have extremely good images that could probably give you a more conclusive idea than I could, but it depends on the quality of your images. So that would be my recommendation, check out the images at mantidforum and if your still not clear then post the best macro( prferrably underside ) abdomenn pics you got using bb image code for large pics, and I'll give it a shot
Also, the males tend to have straighter, narrower abdomens than the females. The females tend to be kind of wide through the hips lol

Some wilf assumptions. If they are all the same size, then they are probably the same sex. Compare the end segments of their abdomen to see if they are identical. If they were the larger ones out of your hatch or are over 2" or have a wide ass, then they are likely female,

I have 3. I just posted photos of them in the general photog section.

2 are over 2 inches long and all brown.
1 is maybe half their size and has green legs and arms.

based on hip girth :rolleyes: id say maybe 2 girls and one boy.

but who knows.

ill take udnerside pics as best i can and see what i come up with, and il go look at the mantid forum too.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom