Male Veiled 7 months old might die

I don't know if it can relate to chams, but in fishes bloating is often result of intestinal infection, if not major organ failure (heart, liver, kidney - considering he is moving around, eating at least some thing, and pooping, I doubt that it is the later).
If he is pooping - did vet check for bad bacterial overgrowth? or other small parasites? (not worms, 1-cell -ones) Fishes sometimes could be cured by methylen blue (very low toxicity with very good outcomes) or metronidazol (heavy, but wide spectrum stuff).
We are not sure on parasites. The vet for some reason didn't mention it but after he had stopped pooping for 3 days again after the Enima I had him put on a dewormer without the test because I didn't have poop. He starts the second round of it today that kills any newly hatched eggs. He has been pooping again since a few days after he started it though.

He is now also on antibiotics as a last ditch effort. I give the subcutaneous injections at home for 3 weeks. 1 x every 48 hours so today will be his second dose. He is still alive this morning and even opened up his eyes on his own. He is under his T5 right now relaxing. It's going to be amazing weather again here for at least 5 days straight. High today is 84 and sunny. Couldn't ask for better weather for him to be outside. Still a little chilly right now so I'll wait a couple of hours. He seems to love it out there!!

Yes, I thought it could be some sort of parasites because of his stunted growth and slight MBD plus the bloating. Although I was using a T8 5% instead of the T5 5%. It is switched back to the T5 now and daily (all day real sun). For 2 weeks now with a few cloudy days.

We couldn't draw blood to test for an infection and organ function. The vet thought drawing blood has a high chance of killing him. I would imagine if it was organ failure the antibiotics might kill him?? Especially since your liver and kidneys has to process all that medicine. Either way it's a risk I had to take.

It's a waiting game now.

I just redid some things in his enclosure. I removed any remaining fake plants that were in there. Ended up being more than I thought that were left but there gone.

I also added plain branches to the front area for him now. I had moved a few things around and between that and the fake plants being gone I had a big open area. He can now have an area that gives him a great view.

I think it's looking pretty good.

Attachments

• PXL_20230812_194032379.jpg
    PXL_20230812_194032379.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 45
  • PXL_20230812_194019201.jpg
    PXL_20230812_194019201.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 37
  • PXL_20230812_193913825.jpg
    PXL_20230812_193913825.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 39
  • PXL_20230812_193552317.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20230812_193552317.PORTRAIT.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 45
Does that grandfather clock toll loudly near the enclosure? May it startle him?
It's not working. It's a grandmother clock that my grandfather built probably 70 years ago. I grew up with it in my house when I was young. It's loud as shit!! Hahaa. It can be taken to a clock repair company to get it working again. But yeah it's just a family thing that's for decoration. He passed away like 30 years ago. I don't have plans on it running anytime in the near future.

I’ve been following your little guy’s story too and I’m hoping a wishing for him to recover!!!! He’s lucky to have you doing all you can to help him!! Good luck to you and him! 💚💚💚

I thought it could be some sort of parasites because of his stunted growth and slight MBD plus the bloating.
Or sometimes it is just some genetic metabolic problem, that gets worse with age, it is often just not possible to know for sure. Try to do your best and hope! We all here wish a good outcome for you guys!

Back
Top Bottom