Male/Female Ratio In panther clutches?

Weather Man

I was wondering if anyone notices a higher or lower ratio of males to females when hatching time comes around? Have you noticed a certain line producing more than the other? Have you linked it to a specific male in your program?

The reason I ask is because being around reptiles most of my young adult life I grew very fond of leopard geckos and Started collecting and eventually breeding and raising them. Incubating leo eggs at certain temps or dropping temps and raising temps dictates whether you produce more males or females. Has anyone tried this with panther eggs? I know its a big thing to incubate a batch of egg for such a long period of time and fail. So most breeders probably don't experiment with this because lets face it they are out to make a buck and if they don't have a successful hatch they don't make money. But have any hobbyists out there tried?

Whats the typical survival rate from a normally incubated clutch of eggs?

Weather Man

I don't know the answers to all of your questions, but I can tell you that the sex ratio of chameleon eggs is not temperature-dependent like some other reptiles (tortoises, leopard geckos, etc). The sexes of chameleons are genetically determined.

Thank you. I guess that would mean using a temp change would be worthless.

So how about genetic ratios? Anyone keep enough detailed records to link males or females to a specific line or parent?

Back
Top Bottom