lethargic chameleon

roguekiller23231

i have a veiled chameleon male. he's nearly 5 years old.

today i found him in the bottom of his vivarium which is unlike him, he was very pale, but would not move from the bottom, so i lifted him up and placed him under one of the heat lamps, he still wouldnt move, still pale after an hour, his eyes look very strange, they are inside the sockets rather than out as they usually are.

the real strange thing is that when i go anywhere near him normally in the morning he goes mad and hisses (which is normal for him, he's a grump when he wakes up) but this time he done nothing.

so what should i do??

he certainly hasn't broken anything as I've checked him all over.

just thought i'd put this info just incase

Chameleon Info:

The species - veiled/Yemen
sex - Male
age - 5 years
How long has it been in your care 5 years
Handling - twice daily
Feeding - 2 adult locust, Veggies daily. occasional wax worm.
Supplements - VIT-ALL Sticky Tongue Farm I once every 2-3 days, Calcium only powder every other day.
Watering - Dripper and through syringe
How often and how long to you mist - twice daily warm misting
Do you see your chameleon drinking - yes
Fecal Description - large, brown with white, as usual.
Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites - no

Cage Info:

Lighting - 2.0 UV tube (long tube) and spot lamps
Temperature - viv 20-28C. Chameleon skin temp is usually 30 (checked with infra red thermometer)
Humidity - 75%
Plants - NONE/Plastic
Placement - Under window, none direct sunlight.
Location - UK birmingham

Current Problem - As described in original post.

I agree that he might just be getting old. The only thing I see different than the norm on the forum is we all use 5.0 and not 2.0. I would have to say if he has lived for 5 years then I guess the 2.0 has been sufficient. Has he been healthy for most of his life and do you get him out for natural sunlight?

i think i was reccomended the 2.0 by someone on here, because i had a 5.0 and was told it was too much.

but anyway, he has never had any huge issues ever, and this has only happened today and got me quite worried.

the only problem that he has got is that he cant see his food or misses it so i usually have to hold each locust close to him, and he has another problem with one or sometime's both of his eyes where they bulge out more then they should (but was told this is due to his age also on this forum).

he does get out in the sun for a while when there is any, but not very long because it's too cold for him, and there is hardly any sun here now, most of the time it's cloudy or raining.

Back
Top Bottom