Leon Died...

Becca G

As some of you know my 4 1/2 yr old panther chameleon Leon was diagnosed with very bad renal failure... He succumbed to his illness yesterday. I did everything I could to keep him comfortable in his last days... I'm very sad to lose him but glad that he won't suffer a poor quality of life. Here are some pics...

IMG_0466.jpg IMG_0459.jpg

_Y7R8216.jpg _Y7R8204.jpg

Copy of P1010040.jpg

Sorry to hear about your loss. He is a good looking guy.

Do you mind me asking, what is a renal failure?

Kidney failure.... Yes I had him since he was about 8-10 weeks. I think that 2 mistakes I made after reading a lot on this forum and talking to breeders is over supplementation early on and potentially feeding too much. I followed the supplement schedule provided by the breeder and it seems to be too heavy. I don't know, just speculation.

Well Becca, I think 4.5 Years is a very good number for a cham kept in captivity, not that many are that lucky, for many different circumstances, so I think Leon was a very lucky guy to have been in your care.

Thanks everyone.... I appreciate the kind words. Since he was diagnosed around 3 weeks ago I've been reading a ton and trying to figure out what I could have done differently.

Becca, I am So So Sorry! I am glad that he was able to go where he was comfortable though and you got 3 extra weeks with him. You are in my thoughts.

Wow, I'm sorry for your lose. He was a beautiful cham, love his colors. As a previous poster said, 4.5 years is an achievement in chameleon husbandry. I just hope mine lasts as long as yours did. My very first cham died just after a year and half in my care. From your previous thread, it definitely showed your dedication towards Leon. Don't beat yourself up, trying to figure out what you could have done different, any cham that has lived 4.5 years has definitely had the luxury of good husbandry in my opinion.

I'm very sorry to hear about his passing; as the others have said, four and a half years is still pretty good. My understanding is that wild panthers rarely live beyond two breeding seasons (intraspecies aggression).

I'm so sorry Becca. It seems that you can ask five different people how they supplement, and get five different answers. Personally, I'm in the "less is more" group.

Just know that by sharing your own experience you are helping so many others. He was so beautiful. :(

Thanks

I just wanted to say thanks so much to everyone who posted the nice words. I reallly appreciate it. The vet also said that 4.5 yrs is good for a chameleon... but I'm a perfectionist and always feel I could have done better. Now the question is when to get another...?

Back
Top Bottom