leaving crickets outside?

LexiV

Hey yall.
Still trying to gather as much knowledge as possible. I am a very light sleeper. I live in a 1 bedroom apartment, third floor, in austin, tx. Will I be able to leave the bin of crickets outside, out of the sun, on my patio? I just don't want to deal with the noise or smell!

Thanks!

The crickets from Petsmart and those from Great Lakes don't seem to be chirping [which I believe adults make by rubbing their legs together]. So I'm not sure if it's because they are a small species or just immature. However, they do smell bad. It evens bothers me and I'm an MD that has drained my share of abscesses, so they are in my weight room in the basement. I'm gonna put some airfresheners down there.

If there aren't a bunch of dead crickets in the bin, and the bin has good ventilation, there shouldn't be much of a smell.... at least mine don't smell very much...

ugh.. here we go again with Dubias.... not everyone is allowed to keep those. Not to mention how many people say their chams don't like them.

Clean healthy live crickets put out minimal smell. IMO

ugh.. here we go again with Dubias.... not everyone is allowed to keep those. Not to mention how many people say their chams don't like them.

Clean healthy live crickets put out minimal smell. IMO
It gets up to 100 degrees or more in the summer here. I could keep them inside during the day when i'm not home and then just put them on the patio at night?

If you notice when ordering crickets, many companies won't guarantee that they are alive if the outside temp is greater than 85. That must mean that they die in high temps.

So for my crickets I use corn mash for the substrate in their bin. It helps keep the smell down. Mine didn't smell bad to begin with. I get enough to feed all my animals for the week. If you keep your cricket bin clean and free of dead crickets you shouldn't get that strong of an odor. I'm no expert just sharing what I know.

Oh and corn mash is the stuff they use to feed birds. The crickets can eat it too. Of course still offer them the normal gutt loading stuff

For crickets good ventilation means a 50 quart bin for a few hundred, lots of egg crates and a screened hole on two opposite sides and one on the top. You need A LOT of space for crickets and A LOT of air flow. Plus they need to be cleaned regularly to stay healthy.

For crickets good ventilation means a 50 quart bin for a few hundred, lots of egg crates and a screened hole on two opposite sides and one on the top. You need A LOT of space for crickets and A LOT of air flow. Plus they need to be cleaned regularly to stay healthy.
Ok and the noise?

There are certain cricket subspecies that make less noise. I think the banded cricket is one of them.

Back
Top Bottom