Jacksons Chameleon not growing?

Ever since I've started giving my guys silkies he started to get bigger. Maybe not the silkies, could just be a growth spurt.

I hear supers have a little bit for fat content, maybe try those. But probably don't want to give it to him daily.

He passed away last night... I dont know if the issue was related. Saturday I had him out on his favorite vine plant and he was very active and a happy green color. Sunday afternoon while spot cleaning his cage, he suddenly stopped moving, opened his mouth super wide and fell off his perch (out of nowhere) and he started foaming and slightly rotating his arms. He had been misted, fed some wax worms the night before (he didnt make it to feeding time next day). This was all literally out of nowhere... I pumped him with water the remainder of his time with me (about an hour) and he gripped my finger one last time and passed. I don't know what could have happened but its been hard on my fiance and me. He was one of my favorites out of our collection of reptiles. I love chameleons but idk if I can gather up the faith to get another... have to figure that out with the lady.

I'm sorry for your loss :(
Jacksonii need a bit more special care than a veiled or a panther so if you consider taking a new one those are a better place to start. I know I would take a panther instead if I had to do it all over again...

Since you have more reptiles you may want to check what caused it's death just in case it could spread to your other reptiles.

I'm sorry for your loss :(
Jacksonii need a bit more special care than a veiled or a panther so if you consider taking a new one those are a better place to start. I know I would take a panther instead if I had to do it all over again...

Since you have more reptiles you may want to check what caused it's death just in case it could spread to your other reptiles.
Yeah that worried me a bit, Ill look at my other reptiles and make sure they are okay. It just took me by suprise. I think it might have been a URI and he didnt show signs until it was too late. The last hour was open mouth, heavy breathing and a thick mucus/ foam, but he didnt have that before. Ill just have to keep an eye on the rest.

I think I will probably go with a veiled... Easily obtained and cheaper. Plus it will be in paradise with the setup I already have. Enough disinfectant and time and I think it will be okay

Sorry to hear about your loss! From your pics he looked to be in good health sometimes it just happens like that. I had a female veiled that I just fed went outside for about 15 minutes came back in to find her on the floor of her enclosure dead. That's the thing with these guys sometime you never see it coming.

Sorry to hear about your loss! From your pics he looked to be in good health sometimes it just happens like that. I had a female veiled that I just fed went outside for about 15 minutes came back in to find her on the floor of her enclosure dead. That's the thing with these guys sometime you never see it coming.
Yes its crazy, I actually have a few pictures of him outside the DAY BEFORE on his favorite vine. I mean at first I thought it was me but I can not see a thing I did. All other reptiles are happy and healthy. Idk its just sad. He was one of my favorites in my collection and he was my buddy. I might get a veiled but Ill probably wait.

Attachments

• IMAG1223.jpg
    IMAG1223.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 136
I wouldn't rule out choking or some form of trauma. Chams tend to decline fast over days/hours I know; but sudden death might be due to him choking on something (water getting in his lungs, etc).....

Back
Top Bottom