Jacksons Chameleon not growing?

j.goldsmith191

Okay I know this is probably a common question but my Jacksons doesn't seem to be growing, and I kinda wanted some feedback on if the size is normal...? I bought him back in February of 2016 at a couple months old. He was the size that is in my profile picture. Well now I'm looking at him and it doesn't look like hes grown much at all and we are approaching a year now. He has access to a critter cup and is currently eating Dubai roaches, wax worms, and occasionally baby meal worms. He has access to a dripper water system and I see him eat and drink, and pooping is also not a issue with him. He has a uvb bulb dual with a ceramic heater and a humidifier at the base of his medium sized reptibreeze cage. The bottom pictures are him now. He is my little man but I hope he just gets bigger! Any feedback will be appreciated.

Attachments

• 14068167_10210438344225818_3473421764976699756_n.jpg
    14068167_10210438344225818_3473421764976699756_n.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 268
  • 14063905_10210438343985812_9104242389695901081_n.jpg
    14063905_10210438343985812_9104242389695901081_n.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 278
My guess is he had the majority of his growth and will not grow that much and fast anymore...
Jacksonii isn't a big species, the j. xantholophus goes to 14"-ish, j. Jacksonii around 10" and j. willengensis even smaller. (This includes the tail.)

How often do you spray him amd for how long?
What supplements do you use and how often?

Welcome! Sometimes, chameleons take a while to grow. They are, but just slowly. Do you gutload your feeders? How much do you feed a day? What wattage bulbs do you use? And also, do you use calcium of your feeders? All of these can effect a chamleon's growth.

Has he shed regularly? That's an easy way to tell if they're growing. He looks close to average size. Like said above, T.J. xantholophus do not get all that big. Another question, was he fed enough when younger? If they don't consume enough food it can stunt their growth.

I do gut load them and calcium powder is added a few times a week. His critter cup is usually always full and he takes down around 5 per session before traveling to the other side of the cage to his favorite spot. He is extremely healthy and active, just not too big. I didn't know which one gets big, I love him all the same but I would love a bigger chameleon. I have a large number of reptiles that are all my babies, 3 bearded dragons, 2 crested geckos, one leopard gecko, one savannah monitor, one sulcata tortoise, one jacksons chameleon and one iguana. I had two panther chameleons but they passed and I found out the supplier sold me sick ones....

Wow many animals you got there..:eek: Usually Jackson's chameleons aren't very big when their adults. So he's most likely growing, just not fast.(y)

Awesome! May I ask what species of chameleon grow to good size? I heard veiled chameleons do but I heard also they can be a bit sassy/

Panther chameleons grow pretty large and I haven't heard many issues in behavior with Panthers so I think that would be a good start. But I'd like to see opinions from others.

Welcome fellow Jacksons owner! Jacksons grow slow after their first year. In fact, they grow very little after that. They have a slower metabolism due to living and thriving in cooler climates. Mine sheds every few months, if that. So long as he's active, he'll be fine. They also don't eat as much as Veileds do, again, due to their slower metabolism.

I haven't seen mine shed in 3 months and I have him for 4 months!

I know he sheds because he has grown a lot but with the times I'm out of the house and the big amount of water that's sprayed into the enclosure every day (~10 liters (2.2 gallons)) I don't even see traces of skin and I also have trouble finding a fecal.
As long as he looks and behaves healthy I will not worry to much about it.

Panther chameleons grow pretty large and I haven't heard many issues in behavior with Panthers so I think that would be a good start. But I'd like to see opinions from others.
Some panthers can be just as sassy (in other words mean) as a veiled. I've met nice veileds, shy veileds, mean panthers, nice panthers, shy panthers, nice melleri, shy melleri, mean melleri. It is very individual, so don't expect them all to fit some sort of norm. Another less common species that grows to a larger size is F. oustaleti...they are often referred to as the "gentle giant" and are close relatives of panthers. Their coloration tends to be rust, brown, tan, white, and black. Just remember, the larger the cham the more living space they demand!

Some panthers can be just as sassy (in other words mean) as a veiled. I've met nice veileds, shy veileds, mean panthers, nice panthers, shy panthers, nice melleri, shy melleri, mean melleri. It is very individual, so don't expect them all to fit some sort of norm. Another less common species that grows to a larger size is F. oustaleti...they are often referred to as the "gentle giant" and are close relatives of panthers. Their coloration tends to be rust, brown, tan, white, and black. Just remember, the larger the cham the more living space they demand!
Well, thanks:D. Because I've never heard anyone tell me that good of info.:coffee:

How long do the horns usually take to grown in your guys experience with them..Of all the different male jacksons Ive had each one has had different patterns with horn growth

From the look of your profile pic vs the two you posted, to me it appears his horns have gotten longer and bigger. I would venture to say also that if you were weighing him on a monthly basis you probably would have watched his weight go up a little bit. 10 grams is still growth when you are a cute little guy like that. Get yourself a postal scale and check him every other week. Keep track, and watch him fill out.

Welcome fellow Jacksons owner! Jacksons grow slow after their first year. In fact, they grow very little after that. They have a slower metabolism due to living and thriving in cooler climates. Mine sheds every few months, if that. So long as he's active, he'll be fine. They also don't eat as much as Veileds do, again, due to their slower metabolism.
Wow I didn't know they had a slower metabolism! I love this little guy and I'll probably get him a mate before too long. Hes so lonely in his big cage! Might need a lady friend to come visit him every so often lol.

Back
Top Bottom