Jackson love triangle story!

JaxKiwiTiger

With the recent developments of my female xanth Kiwi appearing healthy and thriving, I thought I'd do an experiment and see how she responds to my 2 boys (Jax and Tiger). Normally if I introduce her to either of them, they immediately start w/the head bobbing ritual and coming closer, while she would flare up black with white spots and back away quick. Some times she would gape her mouth. Afterwards, I would bring her back to her cage, at which point she would practically be leaping off my hand to get back into the comforts of her cage.

Today, quite a different story. I took Kiwi out of her cage and placed her in Jax's cage. He wasted no time w/the head bobbing and heading towards her. To my surprise, she just stood there, looking calm and relaxed. He made it pretty close to her, and she didn't budge, so I removed her (sorry guys!). I went to put her back into her cage, and opened the door to put her back in. The funny part was she wouldn't go back into her cage! She then proceeded to turn a little dark and open her mouth. I know she wasn't thirsty, and I know I wasn't being a threat to her, so my perception to that was she was mad at me and didn't wanna go back in her cage! :p Her grip on my hand was tight and she totally didn't wanna let go. I seriously had to physically coax her to get back into her cage, after which I felt like a horrible tease :(

A few hours later, I went and grabbed Tiger from his cage and took him to Kiwi's. I placed him a couple of feet below where she was perched, and he wasted no time with the head bobbing and making his way toward Kiwi. As soon as Kiwi noticed, she gaped and rocked on the branch she was on for a few seconds. Tiger continued w/the head bobbing and advancing, and for some reason, she stopped and got calm! I guess she had a change of heart?? :confused: Tiger continued to advance and probably got within inches of her (while she sat there still calm/relaxed colors) until I grabbed him and took him out.

Soooo, looks as though my Kiwi is ready for breeding?? Except she's only about 10 months! She's nowhere near full grown, and I wouldn't want to risk her health/well-being. The boys are about 9.5 months but it seems as though they've all reached sexual maturity, which is kind of a surprise given their size (they're maybe 7-8" horns-to-tail). I've done so much to get her to where she is now and it's not worth it. Plus I still feel like I have a ways to go before breeding becomes something I'm knowledgeable and comfortable with. Any successful Xanth breeders out there, feel free to weigh-in on the topic!

Thanks for reading! :D

I do not own jackson, only veileds, but from what I've read she seems mature, but I dont blame you for waiting. Sounds interesting what you have experinced. It would be cool if you could catch them on video next time.

I also am considering obtaining some jacksons.

If it were me I would wait. As young as she is it could shorten her life to breed her now. Also just wondering, why did to take her up to the boys, if you knew she was to small to breed? Did you maybe just want to know if she "thought" she was ready to breed? That might actually good way to gage her being ready, except for her being small.

Yeah, I'm just experimenting right now since I've never bred any type of animal in my life. I actually did take a couple of videos and pics of me "testing the waters", maybe I'll post them on a new thread. She's surprisingly very receptive to both of them. The funny part was that it seemed like she totally hated both of them before, but I'm wondering if it helps that she's recently outgrown them. She is visibly larger than both of them due to a recent increase in her appetite, which I believe is due to her preparing herself to have babies. She's always known of the 2 boys we keep in our backyard.

I'll probably wait at least another 3 months, although it depends on how much she grows in that time. She's probably older than I think she is as well, like maybe a year old already. When I got her, I was told she was about 6 months, and I've had her for almost 5 months. At any rate, if/when the times comes, I plan on keeping a journal, keeping a weight log, taking pics, etc. I can be quite OCD about doing things right! Should be fun though :)

Back
Top Bottom