Jackson Chameleon care- Need input.

i have a question bout reptaid... if your are usure if yours has parasites, and then end up not having them.. will reaptaid do any harm if it ends up not treating anything?

As for suspicion of possible paracites it wont hurt to use this and ease your suspicion and thats the good thing about it It is sort of like a body cleanser, which kills most all paracites and also brings good health and Vitality, with some new found energy for your Cham. but only dose as suggested and not at all to often after that, less your Cham lookes like it may need another boost many, many months later.
Go to their website and chat with them about it.

Just ordered some Reptaid. The chams arent eating as much today but its nice to know they only eat every few days. Al is still making rounds./ He has figured out where I unzip the cage and sits there. LOL.. But he wont do anything if I unzip it. If I try to hold my hand out, he starts to back away so I just leave him. I think its amazing that he already knows how I get in and out of his cage.

Fans arent noisy..Just little clip fans. I think they are helping maintain temps as the basking gets rather higher than Id like and I do not have a way to get the hood off the cage so the fan lower the temp and keeps air flow going. Our house stays at 72 in the winter and 78 in the summer. Im always cold.
Humidity is between 38-41% going up to 54 with a misting. I use 1 liter between the two cages and I do this 3 times a day.

Im still real unsure if this is the right thing for me right now. Im very paranoid.

Well sounds like you have everthing allright. Temps are within reason(prefered nearest to 70 as possible) The fan will help. Just try not to go over 80 degrees and do the best you can to keep those higher temps from happening. Without stressing out about it either. ;)

Sounds like your set. With Reptiad, and after that treatment, go back to feeding evey 2 to 3 days, Enjoy!

I think I witnessed the snot yesterday.. could this explain her lack of eating? It was like drippingon 2 leaves with something in the middle.. No resemblance to poo or even running poo..

And then today she Ate!!! I found a HUGE snail outside since it just rained and thought..what the heck.. Put it on a vine and within minutes she whipped around and snatched it.. No tongue action, just went up and grabbed it and chomped down.. yay!!!

That's pretty funny. I've never thought of trying to feed a chameleon a slug before. It would have been amusing if she had used her tongue. What would win? The slug's foot or the chameleon's tongue?

Just make sure no pesticides are in your lawn before you feed WC insects. I'm sure you know that already though.

You should be really careful- wild snails and slugs can be absolutely FULL of parasites. I know that certain types of flukes are common in gastropods. If you want to feed them the occasional snails, you should culture your own snails in a terrarium, wait for babies, and then separate the babies out as soon as possible. Wait for them to grow to proper size and then feed them off. I talk more about it here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/feeding-snails-chameleons-video-18529/

Need some help

Chams are drinking Great..however, I am having issues with feeding. They REFUSE to cup feed. Like I said, Ive tried tall, short, small, big, colored, white, clear..Nothing..wont go near it even though I see them watching the food wiggle in the container..

They arent eating because anything I put on a vine wiggles and falls off and lands at the bottom where the cham wont go. I tried handfeeding and they run from me... I got one pheonix worm into Al yesterday because he was hanging out on the screen and i placed it on the plastic softtray and it wiggled and he snatched it. When I went to place another, he freaked out and went back up top.. I havent seen Peggy eat since the snail 2 days ago...

Im not sure what I can do? I was thinking of those lizard hammock and attacing it to the corner and perhaps just leaving the food to wiggle all over that?

You have only had them 9 days.
Getting used to feeding out of a cup takes awhile.
You need to leave them alone with one cup with food in it and give them a chance.
Continuing to invade their space and constantly changing things in the enclosure will only lead to an unfortunate conclusion.
Relax and remember, chameleons like to be left alone.
They will find the food when they want to eat.

-Brad

Thank You. I just read that they should eat ever 2-3 days and I was concerned is all... Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'll hang it up now.

Brad, is absolutely right with his whole statement. Do exactly as he states, put food in, water them, (to keep them drinking). and honestly. try not to do anything else with them for several weeks. dont even take them out of the cage. Also feeding every 2 to 3 days is correct once you get them relaxed and comfortable. Till then let them eat as they desire.

Got a question

Als lights do not go off until 645. I have found him, asleep on his branch as early as 4pm and as late at 615pm. He is up moving around befor ehis lights kick on at 745am. Is this something ot be worried about or is he just making his own schedule? he is active, eats well, and is sturdy in grip and great color. Peggy follows her lights so I found it odd that Al would change it. He is also partially in front of a window so even at 4pm, the sun is still coming in but he is sound asleep.

Alrighty then..

Guess Ill just take it as he is doing his own thing;) His lights went on at 645 this morn and he was already across the cage waiting for them..should I just move his timer up an hour? Peggys is right across from him (she has a cover so she cant see him) and hers is 7-7. Would his timer going off affect her schedule if I kept her the same as thats what she is used to?

I'd Say his own scheduling is fine. If he awakes earlier than lights on, this is possibly why he curls up earlier in the evening. I have one Mellers that is always up before the sun, and always to bed early, like around 4 to 6 pm here, Thats just the way he is? An earlybird.
Makes me laugh when I go to his cage to offer him a snack, early evening, and he's already curled up and drifting off to dreamland. I do admit I have never been able to get up earlier than him either though?

Chams are drinking Great..however, I am having issues with feeding. They REFUSE to cup feed. Like I said, Ive tried tall, short, small, big, colored, white, clear..Nothing..wont go near it even though I see them watching the food wiggle in the container..

They arent eating because anything I put on a vine wiggles and falls off and lands at the bottom where the cham wont go. I tried handfeeding and they run from me... I got one pheonix worm into Al yesterday because he was hanging out on the screen and i placed it on the plastic softtray and it wiggled and he snatched it. When I went to place another, he freaked out and went back up top.. I havent seen Peggy eat since the snail 2 days ago...

Im not sure what I can do? I was thinking of those lizard hammock and attacing it to the corner and perhaps just leaving the food to wiggle all over that?
oh for cup feeding, i finally figured out where to put the cup for my Jackson to eat from it!, its odd, but i cut the bottom off a water bottle and just set it on the floor where a branch goes kind of close, and when she sees it, she crawls down the screen to get them. i only cup feed when ill be gone all day.
i like to hold the food and have her eat from my hand most of the time :)
let me know if that will help?

I tried the bottom, I tried the middle, I tried the top.. I gave up. Al eats anything moving on the vine or the side of the cage, so he refuses to cup feed. Left some supers and phoenix in for over a wee, shaking the cup a few times a day..Not one of them was gone. Peggy cup feeds. She wont ever eat when im looking and will catch something if shes hungry... Ill just leave them as they prefer it.:)

Thanks titan for the reassurance. Yea, I saw him go to bed early last week but it was stormy and dark out so we figured he thought it was time..But yesterday I went to water them at 430 and he was curled up sleeping..so I got worried..but nice to know he's just his own chameleon.:)

Welp, I wont be a Jacksons chameleon owner after tomorrow. things have come up and we are going through a lot of things and I just cant handle them right now. they were sprung on me and i did my best, but I have found someone adequate to care for them and they are being picked up tomorrow. Im truly bummed, but its the best for them and me. Thank you to everyone who has offered support and advice. I do not plan on getting any larger chameleons for a long time. Im looking into pygmys but not for awhile, but my daughter is interested in them and they seem pretty easygoing. Thanks again and I hope no one feels the need to belittle me. Its very very hard, even though I wasnt prepared, I have scattered to do everything properly. Im just twicebitten with the other 2 dying and these being harder.. I just cant deal with the thought of it, so Im doing what I feel is necessary. Thanks. Amanda

Back
Top Bottom