Is this too much weight gain?

skyedog

Established Member
Your Chameleon - Mellers chameleon, unknown age/sex. Purchased 10/16/10.
Handling - Handled only for inspection of chameleon and weighing.
Feeding - Feeding crickets, superworms, silkworms, and dubia. On occasion a hornworm or two. Usually 6-8 feeders a day, sometimes a few more. I'm gutloading with a recipe I saw on Melleri Discovery.
Supplements - Calcium w/o d3 3-4 times a week, calcium with d3 2x/month.
Watering - Mist King with extended mistings (up to 20min at a time) 2-3 times a day. Dripper also going for part of the day. Cage does dry out in between mistings. He drinks and gets right into the mist each time. I'll cut down mistings a bit when he's acclimated more.
Fecal Description - Fecal looks good. White urate.

Cage Type - 260 Gallon Reptarium, free range in process.
Lighting - 2 Basking lights, 1 is a 40 watt Philips Halogena which he prefers to be under, second is a 60 watt regular bulb. Also a 36" reptisun uvb 10.0
Temperature - Normal temp in the enclosure is 74 in the higher area, 72 in the mid range, and on occasion 68-70 at the cage floor. The basking areas are right around 85, sometimes a degree or two higher. I measure temps with an infared heat gun, but I also have an indoor/outdoor thermometer that has a 6 foot probe that sits in the middle of the enclosure.
Humidity - Humidity is usually around 65 percent, but I've seen it go down to 45-50 for a short time, and as high as 76 during and right after mistings, measured with the indoor/outdoor thermometer which also measures humidity.
Plants - Large scheffelera and lots of pothos
Placement - Cage is located in my room, no traffic besides me. The enclosure is elevated due to drainage, so the top of it is about 7 - 8 feet off the ground.
Location - Northwestern NJ

On Oct 23rd I weighed the chameleon and the weight was 151 grams. He's 7 inches snout to vent. Today I weighed him and he was 175 grams. Is this too much of a weight gain in 2 weeks? He eats like a horse, but I didn't know if it was healthy for him to gain 24 grams in 2 weeks. Can this cause any health problems? I'm just trying to keep a very close eye on him because I know how touchy w/c mellers are.

This sounds like one of those "you feed your chameleon too much" kind of things but its a Mellers and i don't know much about them and their growth rates...maybe he's just going through a growth spurt? did he get any longer or just fatter? You might wan't to talk to summoner12 he has a Mellers and from what i hear he eats like a horse aswell :rolleyes:

He's a WC right? He's probably just putting on the weight he 'should' be in captivity. Last time I had a mellers here it was also 7 inches STV, but it came in at 250 and gained 40 ish grams in a month. I didn't over feed him or free feed him. He just gained lots of weight with well gutloaded bugs to eat. He loved dubias. :)

I recently had two panther males, who always seemed to be either small for their size or very lean, moved to their own free ranges. And I don't know if it was the additional space or more ability to excercise or what, but they both put on 20 grams each in about 2 weeks. But like Pssh suggested, they weren't getting fat they were just gaining what they should have been gaining anyway. Just in a very short amount of time. Now I suspect that they'll continue to gain weight at a more steady pace after such a spurt.

I think that is probably what is happening with yours.

Ok thanks. It makes me feel better knowing it's not abnormal or anything like that. I guess I'm just being overprotective.

Pssh - Yea I forgot to mention its a w/c. Wow 250g? I guess mine has a way to go then.

Yeah, he was starting to fill in as an adult. I believe he is now 8.5 inches STV and 320 ish grams and done growing.

I luv melleri....hope to own a pair someday and breed them:cool:......im still praying Summoner12's clutch is fertile:cool:

Back
Top Bottom