Is this set up right for a Yemen chameleon?

Good set up or bad?

• Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bad

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I feel that the best thing I could do is once I have him higher drill a hole in bottom and make a false floor so water can drain under substrate and thru the hole into a collection bowel. Would that be advisable?
That would be a good option, that together with maybe 1 or 2 fans to help drying out the enclosure a bit quicker. Because the wood is untreated and will suffer by time of the moist.

image.jpg

Ok so so far we’ve got rid of the dropper plant, i have bought one real plant as that’s all I could find atm, I’ve left the fake ones in atm till I get some more real ones for coverage, as don’t want him to feel exposed, dropper tube now dripping onto that, does anyone know how much repti safe to put in a gallon dripper, I’ve worked it out as 30 drops but seems excessive? Photo of him included (just been out for abit while I moved stuff around so think he’s abit dull because of that (room temp is 18° so bit difference to his viv, should I worry about getting him out with such a temp difference or will he be okay.

@Sonny13 said about fans, like the little 12v computer ones? If so am I best putting one low down with mesh so he/feeders, can’t get to the blades, and one up high for draw?

View attachment 353768
Ok so so far we’ve got rid of the dropper plant, i have bought one real plant as that’s all I could find atm, I’ve left the fake ones in atm till I get some more real ones for coverage, as don’t want him to feel exposed, dropper tube now dripping onto that, does anyone know how much repti safe to put in a gallon dripper, I’ve worked it out as 30 drops but seems excessive? Photo of him included (just been out for abit while I moved stuff around so think he’s abit dull because of that (room temp is 18° so bit difference to his viv, should I worry about getting him out with such a temp difference or will he be okay.

@Sonny13 said about fans, like the little 12v computer ones? If so am I best putting one low down with mesh so he/feeders, can’t get to the blades, and one up high for draw?
Yes, I’m using the 12v pc fans and were the chams could reach it, I got some mesh fabric around it. I got two below blowing air in and one on top withdrawing air.

Glad to see some of the masters have jumped in to give you advice. There is a lot to learn but you and your cham <name please> will be better for it. Yes most use the computer fans on top to pull the air up and out, don't want it blowing in since it will pull the air into the bottom vent to create a chimney effect. Hope this helps.

Hi guys so just giving a little update so far, I’ve got rid of the old “non descript” calcium and bought this, I assume this is okay? There is nothing added to it.

IMG_9667.jpeg

He now has 3 live plants, I will keep updating with live ones but for now the plastic ones are staying and will be swapped when I have more live plants, again just so he dosn’t feel to exposed, few more branches added aswell to make getting to the live plants easier. Removed the calcium sand and put coco soil or whatever it’s called (was in the freezer prior to kill any pests).

IMG_9666.jpeg

I have read and changed a lot about his feeders (turns out reptiles baso come with there own pets ey 😂) I’m going to continue feeding them this beastie feed, but that will now be along side the stuff in ice cube tray, which is ;watercress, dark leaf salad leafs (no lettuce as heard there’s no nutritional value to it?) apple, banana, small amount of rosemary and kale. I hope that’s okay? I’ve got crickets and locusts atm that are feeding on a mix of both the ‘mush’ and the dry beastie feed, I also got some wax worms for treats but not counting them towards his nutritional, more as junk food

IMG_9665.jpeg
IMG_9664.jpeg

Vents ordered for the bottom of the cage just waiting on them to turn up, also need to find something to sit his vivarium on the make him higher but cannot find anything that feels sturdy enough, looks like the toolbox is going to have to be sacrificed 😂.

I hope I’m heading in the right direction and if not please give me a nudge.

Thank you

Hi guys so just giving a little update so far, I’ve got rid of the old “non descript” calcium and bought this, I assume this is okay? There is nothing added to it.

View attachment 353836

He now has 3 live plants, I will keep updating with live ones but for now the plastic ones are staying and will be swapped when I have more live plants, again just so he dosn’t feel to exposed, few more branches added aswell to make getting to the live plants easier. Removed the calcium sand and put coco soil or whatever it’s called (was in the freezer prior to kill any pests).

View attachment 353837

I have read and changed a lot about his feeders (turns out reptiles baso come with there own pets ey 😂) I’m going to continue feeding them this beastie feed, but that will now be along side the stuff in ice cube tray, which is ;watercress, dark leaf salad leafs (no lettuce as heard there’s no nutritional value to it?) apple, banana, small amount of rosemary and kale. I hope that’s okay? I’ve got crickets and locusts atm that are feeding on a mix of both the ‘mush’ and the dry beastie feed, I also got some wax worms for treats but not counting them towards his nutritional, more as junk food

View attachment 353838View attachment 353839

Vents ordered for the bottom of the cage just waiting on them to turn up, also need to find something to sit his vivarium on the make him higher but cannot find anything that feels sturdy enough, looks like the toolbox is going to have to be sacrificed 😂.

I hope I’m heading in the right direction and if not please give me a nudge.

Thank you
Doing good. So that calcium should be fine. Just look on the back and make sure it does not have D3 in it.

I would pull the rope out of the cage they can get their nails caught and broken in those. You will want to add more regular sized branches up at the top like there are in the bottom so he has proper sized gripping surfaces for his feet.

Day 2, still the same, also is he looking like he’s about to shed on his head with the colour and appearance, it’s been like that maybe 2 days, he gets misted when the plants do as read to gently mist to aid shedding

IMG_9694.jpeg

Chameleons are dry shedders, no additional misting needed. It’s so sad when they’re shedding, looks so uncomfortable. Lol
Ok I’ll leave him to it, so would him sitting up there and skin looking how it does both indicate he is about to shed?

IMG_9773.jpeg
IMG_9772.jpeg
IMG_9771.jpeg
IMG_9770.jpeg
IMG_9769.jpeg
IMG_9768.jpeg
IMG_9771.jpeg

Here is what I’ve done to make his cage batter real plants lots of cover lots of branches and places to explore, I’ve kept his fountain plant as he seems to only drink from that he got dehydrated when I took it away, I hope this is better

View attachment 354626View attachment 354627View attachment 354628View attachment 354629View attachment 354630View attachment 354631View attachment 354628

Here is what I’ve done to make his cage batter real plants lots of cover lots of branches and places to explore, I’ve kept his fountain plant as he seems to only drink from that he got dehydrated when I took it away, I hope this is better
So you should not be running that red bulb at all. These lights can damage their eyes. Where is the linear UVB you got? It does not look like it is over the branches he can get to. If it is pulled all the way to the front you need to make sure you have branches roughly 8-9 inches down since it is mounted inside the cage. So that he can get UVB. I can not tell you the exact distance since you are running a T8 bulb though. You would want to get a solarmeter 6.5 to determine your actual UVI level below the UVB bulb. Your looking for a 3 UVI at their back.

Thank you for replying, that’s my bad I know not to use the red light I’d just finished putting everything in his Viv so turned it on for 5 mins to boost heating as it had got abit cold (like 16 near substrate), the uvb bulb is at the top above the door, currently, I’m planning to cut half the wood top off and moving all bulbs out and putting mesh in said place like so, just trying to figure out if making my own or buying a pre made exoterra Viv replacement mesh would be best. I’ve included a pic of what I mean, I know he needs to be higher and currently building some legs to sit him on, nothing seems sturdy in shops or massively oversized/priced.

Currently been fed silk worms, locust, a few wax worms as treats, calcium daily, calcium+d3 on 1st and 15th and reptile systems vit-A-Min once a week, he seems happier with live plants and lots of new spots, he’s done his 1st shed that I’ve seen since last posting and had no issues with that, is getting a little grumpy to handing but I know that’s gunna happen, this is why I bought the silkworms to try and convince him I’m friend and not going to eat him 😂, which seems to be working. He refuses crickets atm but I think one bit him while feeding so I’ll leave them for a while untill he hopefully forgets. He loves calci worms even though there tiny so leave them in a bowl for him to graze. All feeders are still fed the same as before.

Any tips for his diet or is that okay

Will post pictures when I have sorted the height and light situation.
IMG_9789.jpeg

Thank you for replying, that’s my bad I know not to use the red light I’d just finished putting everything in his Viv so turned it on for 5 mins to boost heating as it had got abit cold (like 16 near substrate), the uvb bulb is at the top above the door, currently, I’m planning to cut half the wood top off and moving all bulbs out and putting mesh in said place like so, just trying to figure out if making my own or buying a pre made exoterra Viv replacement mesh would be best. I’ve included a pic of what I mean, I know he needs to be higher and currently building some legs to sit him on, nothing seems sturdy in shops or massively oversized/priced.

Currently been fed silk worms, locust, a few wax worms as treats, calcium daily, calcium+d3 on 1st and 15th and reptile systems vit-A-Min once a week, he seems happier with live plants and lots of new spots, he’s done his 1st shed that I’ve seen since last posting and had no issues with that, is getting a little grumpy to handing but I know that’s gunna happen, this is why I bought the silkworms to try and convince him I’m friend and not going to eat him 😂, which seems to be working. He refuses crickets atm but I think one bit him while feeding so I’ll leave them for a while untill he hopefully forgets. He loves calci worms even though there tiny so leave them in a bowl for him to graze. All feeders are still fed the same as before.

Any tips for his diet or is that okay

Will post pictures when I have sorted the height and light situation.
View attachment 354641
So it would be much better to cut out the top and put a layer of aluminum screen in between then have lighting on top. Much safer for them to do this. Let me know when you complete this to position UVB correctly.

Can you put a pic of all the supplement bottles? I am concerned about the frequency of the VitA min. This one can be overdosed very easily and I need to look up exactly what you are using. You should be using a calcium without D3 at all other feedings as well. I think you have this but just double checking. If he is eating silks and locusts as a main staple you do not need to add crickets in. The combo with the calci worms is just fine. Remember wax worms use sparingly.

IMG_9795.jpeg

What I feed the locust, along with the recommended greens on your photos on the forum. Silk worms get the mulberry mulch stuff, but usually just buy a box a time as as pet shop is on way home from work.
IMG_9794.jpeg
IMG_9793.jpeg

This I was told once weekly but if giving D3 make sure other end of the week, eg: this monday, D3 friday
IMG_9792.jpeg
IMG_9791.jpeg

This is what I dust locust with to give him his d3 as it contains it and calcium, so on the 1st and 15th of month he gets this
IMG_9790.jpeg

The calcium he gets every meal (other than D3 or vit-A-Min days) as shown contains nothing else.

Back
Top Bottom