Is thIs PlaNt SafE??

alexcoppola

i got this plant from home depot the people said it was a schefflera but im not to sure......

4v49py.jpg

bad Schefflera! Go to your room!

no, sorry, that's the bad Schefflera, which is dangerously toxic. Try again to find S. arboricola (with smaller leaves).

Not trying to tangent the thread but I have a similar question about soil. On a seperate plant note, why would you have to use organic soil within the enclosure? From everything I have read it is wise to cover the exposed soil with rocks so as long as that is done would it be necessary to change out of pearlite compositions?

Its fine as long as nothing eats it. Even then I dont think it will cause any real damage.

No need to risk it. Save your $20 bux and go get the good plant for less. :p You are going to need to look for a benjamina Ficus or a schefflera arboricola. Good luck.

-Clemonde

Whats the risk???
Ive used this plant for projects almost my whole life.
Its very common in S.FL where I live.
There is so many misconceptions about plants. Look at the Chameleon Company, they use all kinds of plants that are supposedly black listed.
Also check out the Jacksons Cham article in the newest issue of Chameleonnews. There are TWO photos of jacksons in the supposed "bad Schefflera" taken by Chris Anderson. Just something to mow over...........

Last edited:
Oh yea I forgot to mention I have a clutch of Greenhouse frog eggs in a pot of the "bad Schefflera" that are doing just fine. The eggs appear to be developing. There will be frogs soon!
On a side note, GH frogs dont have a tadpole stage and hatch out as micro frogs. Just incase anyones like, "why is this weird-o hatching frogs in a potted plant?"

Back
Top Bottom