is it bad that my cham really likes me?????

Ares

depending on the time of the day and his temperament, my cham likes to climb out of his cage and on to my arm whenever his cage is open and i'm misting. He makes his way to the front of the cage whenever he sees me coming. I hand fed him as a baby and still do occasionally. All previous cham's i've been in contact with do not like being handled. Sometimes it seems like he is happier to be out chilling with me. I also take him outside every once in while to get some good pure sun.
Should i be worried about this behavior or could it just be the way i raised him. I've had him since he was a baby veiled. he is currently about 8 months old.. about 10-12 inches head to base of tail.

cage- 24''24''48''
100w heat lamp....12 inches away not accesible by cham
2 uva/uvb that are placed 8 inches from cham.
pothos and dracena plants in the cage
I could have some more vines in the cage....right now only 18 feet of vines
consistently in mid 70's except for basking area which is upper 80's

No, why should it be bad? I think a cham like yours (mine also) is a bonus if you consider some say their animal 'hates' them, gets upset at their presence etc. Think yourself lucky. Welcome :)

I think it's great that he likes coming out of his cage witout being stressed. You should buy him a tree and allow him to free range some.

thats funny jannb, i was thinking about a Ficus Benjamina to put near the window and let him hang on....i'm just glad this is not abnormal

Hey Ares - your cham acts just like mine. I struggle to even open his cage to feed him without him trying to climb all over me! Count yourself lucky, it sounds like you have a perfectly friendy n happy cham on your hands.

My Lily was just the same. You got lucky and found a friendly veiled - enjoy him and don't worry. They are amazing creatures. Lily was so comfortable with me that she used to rub shed off of her eyes on my thumb!:D

Yeah, Why should it be bad ?
I dont think it is, my nearly a year old yemen cham likes coming out... but not as often as she did when she was younger. :D

It might be more appropriate to say your chameleon doesnt run from you, doesnt make aggressive displays, and its behaviour suggests it is not afraid of you. That or it really doesnt want to be in the cage.

I caution against thinking your chameleon "likes" you. It is a lizard, not a human. Like and Hate and such are Human states of being. We cant know what lizards feel, if anything.

I've found the ones I've raised from the egg are more tolerant than those I've purchased from others. I still refrain from handling. I dont believe even tolerant chameleons should be handled or carried around.

It might be more appropriate to say your chameleon doesnt run from you, doesnt make aggressive displays, and its behaviour suggests it is not afraid of you. That or it really doesnt want to be in the cage.

I caution against thinking your chameleon "likes" you. It is a lizard, not a human. Like and Hate and such are Human states of being. We cant know what lizards feel, if anything.

I've found the ones I've raised from the egg are more tolerant than those I've purchased from others. I still refrain from handling. I dont believe even tolerant chameleons should be handled or carried around.

So, me taking my Cham for a ride on my Harley is a bad thing??:D;):p:eek:

Damn, you had to quote me, I had second thoughts about that joke, that she might take it the wrong way, figured it wasnt worth it, but now Im busted! :D
Just meant your treatise on anthropmorphism seemed a touch 'Cold'. No offence Sandra! :)

You mean like this?
Sorry for the image quality.
I never handle my chameleon either except 4 cage cleaning and for taking him outside to sunbathe.
So, when he saw me he knew we are going outside.
Otherwise, he would be content staying in his palace.

You mean like this?
Sorry for the image quality.
I never handle my chameleon either except 4 cage cleaning and for taking him outside to sunbathe.
So, when he saw me he knew we are going outside.
Otherwise, he would be content staying in his palace.

Such abuse!! Your Cham is obvious very frightened and is about to jump!!

Satoky is just like that, almost think he prefers to use me as his tree then the one in his cage.

Ha! :D

A link you may find interesting (or something to dismiss, however is your preference) http://chamworld.blogspot.com/2008/01/handling-your-chameleon.html

I have a chameleon that has associated me with food and/or transportation to a tree outside his cage that he "enjoys". So Im not so extreme as to say "Never handle your chameleon". I do think the Harley ride might be a tad too far though, eh? tee hee Seriously, handling/playing with a chameleon generally serves no interset of the chameleon, only of the person who is falsley associating human feelings onto it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom