Is 25W daylight basking bulb enough?

Deevo

I was wondering is 25W enough for a good basking temp? It doesn't feel all that warm and I do have it set up on a stand so it's not directly touching the screen. My cham usually sits under his uvb in the mornings and I dont really see him "bask" under the daylight bulb. The temp of his cage is around 75*F on average but I dont have a temp gun to measure his basking area.

I was wondering is 25W enough for a good basking temp? It doesn't feel all that warm and I do have it set up on a stand so it's not directly touching the screen. My cham usually sits under his uvb in the mornings and I dont really see him "bask" under the daylight bulb. The temp of his cage is around 75*F on average but I dont have a temp gun to measure his basking area.

Using your hand to test the temp won't do a lot of good, because YOU are warm blooded. What will feel warm to you (at 98.6 or so) will be much hotter to a cham. We can't really tell you if a particular watt bulb is enough because everyone's room situation is different. The ambient room temp will affect the basking area temp, the amount of air movement in the room, etc. 25w is fairly low.

If the entire cage is 75 F that isn't warm enough for the basking area. You could test the basking area temp by moving your thermometer there while the light is on. If your cham isn't sitting dark and quiet right under the basking lamp for hours, if he's moving around, eating and drinking, he isn't too cold.

I agree with Carlton.
Its the temperature in the basking area that matters - you adjust the wattage of bulb and distance to create the right temperature.

in summer I typically use a 40 watt bulb, sometimes 25watts (not often because we don't have really hot summers where I live) and 60-100watt in the winter

Okay that makes sense. I was worried at first of "frying" my cham to be honest lol, so I went with the lowest wattage first. I think on boxing day I will pick up a 40W daylight basking bulb and a new UVB bulb as its been 6 months. My kinyongia is also montane and from what I have read he will generally stay in the upper 3/4 of the tree canopy so I think 100W may be too much.

Thx for the replies :)

Is sleeping with a lighter/brighter color a good sign that he's comfortable?

montanes usually need a lower basking temp than the more common panther or veiled, so you are right to start low and check temps and then increase if/as needed

Every situation is different, so there is no "one size fits all" bulb. I use a 100 watt powersun myself, And my cham loves it. He basks under it when he needs heat, then he goes to the cooler side. But to pick the right bulb, I suggest using a digital thermometer to measure the temps so u get the right bulb. And yes, normally chams will assume lighter colors at rest so that is a good thing. Good luck!

Yes, it would be very wise as well (while you are out getting the 40watt) to pick up a digital thermometer. They are amazing! :) I have two.

Back
Top Bottom