Insect Dusting Technique

SageZA

Hi Guys

I have a 3 month old Veiled Chameleon.

I use the T-Rex Calcium powder and Zoo Med Reptivite.

My Question is do i dust them in a separate container and then transfer them into the feeder bowl. How do you guys normal do it?

I only give him the reptivite once a week and calcium powder with every helping of Crickets etc.

Well...

DSC02874.jpg

DSC02876.jpg

DSC02875.jpg
We have tried a multitude of things over the years and have purchased many "special" toys to work with, however, we purchased some nuts at a local "Mart" and the container is about 8-9 inches tall and has grips on either side so not perfectly square. Fits in the hand real nice. Crickets and prey cannot easily jump out. The cricket farm we have with the egg cartons and tubes, we just bang on the top and they fall in. Of course the Cal and Vit's are in the container we call the..."Shaker". Much less waste this way and if you have to hand feed someone, you can reach into it with no trouble at all. You get a nice even coverage and Igor and the crew love them this way. When he sees the "Shaker" coming, he is like a kid at the candy store window quite literally, clawing at the cage wanting to treats! The moral here is less waste. This stuff is exensive (cal and vit's) and we are recycling as well! GO GREEN...so to speak. Sorry Igor...I know its your color...Enjoy!:D

Last edited:
Yep, that's how most of us do it in one shape or another. The important thing to note though is not to leave them completely covered in white powder, you don't want them to look like ghosts. Over supplementation is something you don't want either. Just a small pinch of calcium or whatever is enough to put in the cup/container to shake them in.

if you completely ghost them it might kill your feeder because they wont be able to breathe so just a small amount of calcium on them is perfect. I just have a separate deli cup which i put them in there first and then transfer them into my feeder cup

I was actually going to post this yesterday. I just keep the cricket bag they came in, put a few in there with a little powder and shake all around. they get a nice coat. How do I know how much is too much?

I keep crickets and the gutload for a day or two in a separate container from the other crickets. This way I don't go through gutload as quickly.

When it's time to feed them off I shake the little piece of cardboard into a plastic bag, and usually a good number of crickets will fall in. If I need more, I catch them one by one with the feeding tongs. I then put a pinch or two of the supplements in the bag, shake it, and pour the crickets into the feeding dish. I did the same with dubias when I had them. I pick up superworms and put them in the bag with feeding tongs, and I pick up silkworms with a paintbrush and put them directly in the feeding dish.

Ziplock bags for each supplement, I put in supplement then rub it around till it coats the walls of bag, so there is none loose cause when there is loose powder it always coats them too much shake then just put them in the corner of bag , cup my hand under em and flip bag then throw in feeder bowl, probly a rookie way of doing it lol

If someone has a scale they could weigh out the supplement added using their shaker technique and figure out how much supplement actually got to their cham. It is kind of odd that nobody has evaluated their supplementation by weight on this forum before..just sayin:rolleyes:

Yea I think a pink per cricket is good enough cause I learned your not trying to engulf them in it I use to do that though LOL

The crickets should only be a very subtle shade lighter after being dusted. If they are significantly lighter you've used too much.

For my "shakers" I just use up the small containers that deli ham and other meats are coming now adays from the grocery store. They work well enough and it beats tossing them out when you are out of ham. :( <----sad at the thought of someone being out of ham.

For my "shakers" I just use up the small containers that deli ham and other meats are coming now adays from the grocery store. They work well enough and it beats tossing them out when you are out of ham. :( <----sad at the thought of someone being out of ham.

Mmm Ham lol

OP:
I use disposable plastic cups and I have a different cup for each supplement. I like to dust them in a seperate container then I feed in.

Like mentioned before use just a little pinch ;)

Bahh all you fancies! I just grab one at a time with long feeder tweezers... Dip it in whichever supplement I'm providing....shake the excess off , throw it in the feeding cup and let him get em. The whole bag and shake and container shake thing is overkill.....and yes....I make sure it's a light total covering of dust.

Bahh all you fancies! I just grab one at a time with long feeder tweezers... Dip it in whichever supplement I'm providing....shake the excess off , throw it in the feeding cup and let him get em. The whole bag and shake and container shake thing is overkill.....and yes....I make sure it's a light total covering of dust.

To each there own, I don't think I'm fancy I think I'm organized:D

lol i dont think my way is fancy at all its just a plastic cup and a little supp not tooo much....:D;):rolleyes:

COol thanks for the replies guys :D

Seems i have been over dusting my crickets, woops, I shall take this advice and stick to it.

I dusted them and when they are coated properly I transfer them into his feeder, they do look like white candy :/

When giving him his reptivit i only coat them lightly, the stuff is very sticky, and i only administer this once a week.

You can follow his Dairy here. Lots of pics from page 2 onwards

https://www.chameleonforums.com/roccoz-diary-veiled-chameleon-47697/

Back
Top Bottom