infomation need..cham is acting weird

jst to add..i got up this morning and he is the same this morning...mouth open...and heard him weeze aswell...temp is in the mid 70's atm.:(

ok i iwill change the bulb today and see what happends...

also just to add... heard him weeze when he opened his mouth today..

i dont know if thats means anything...

:( :( :(

Sounds like a respiratory infection... which I don't see why he would get that if the temps are so high.. Plan a visit to the vet soon.

Sounds like a respiratory infection... which I don't see why he would get that if the temps are so high.. Plan a visit to the vet soon.

respiratory infection from stagnant air circulation is probable even with high temperature. I would imagine more so if the enclosure is hot, humid, and the air is trapped inside. Bacteria loves those conditions.

ashrules, wheezing is a bad sign. I think you need to get your cham to the vet ASAP.
http://chamworld.blogspot.com/2008/01/upper-respiratory-infection-warning.html

Ah, thank you Dodolah, I didn't realize that. I figured the heat would dry up the moisture, mostly. Seems to do that a lot in AZ!

respiratory infection from stagnant air circulation is probable even with high temperature. I would imagine more so if the enclosure is hot, humid, and the air is trapped inside. Bacteria loves those conditions.

ashrules, wheezing is a bad sign. I think you need to get your cham to the vet ASAP.
http://chamworld.blogspot.com/2008/01/upper-respiratory-infection-warning.html

Took the words right out of my mouth,I am in england and i used substrates when i first had chameleons in a glass cage a few years ago, caused mould quickly, the air just isnt warm enough, even with a heat bulb to satisfactoraly dry the substrate out between mistings.

i think a BIG clean out is nessacary..i have a drip which goes on the substrate..im gonna clean the whole enclosure and use carpet i think...

the water doesnt dissapear...and yes i think mould has developed at the bottom...

i am currently cleaning it now..

Hi.....I'm from the UK too....:)

Don't use house carpet, you are just replacing a soggy, bacteria farm with another.....use kitchin roll, that's all you need. Easy to collect up everyday, easy to see the poo to pick up etc. I place the roll in individual sheets. Mine poo in the same place every day so unless a full change is needed I can just lift out and replace one sheet.
Substrate often doesn't expose the poo site and thats one big source of bacteria. I inherieted a substrate set up once and despite it looking natural and asthetically pleasing it was, in my opinion, an unecessary risk I was always worrying about. I would never go back to any now....paper towels it is for me :)

Hi.....I'm from the UK too....:)

Don't use house carpet, you are just replacing a soggy, bacteria farm with another.....use kitchin roll, that's all you need. Easy to collect up everyday, easy to see the poo to pick up etc. I place the roll in individual sheets. Mine poo in the same place every day so unless a full change is needed I can just lift out and replace one sheet.
Substrate often doesn't expose the poo site and thats one big source of bacteria. I inherieted a substrate set up once and despite it looking natural and asthetically pleasing it was, in my opinion, an unecessary risk I was always worrying about. I would never go back to any now....paper towels it is for me :)

Ditto to the above post!

One more thing-not sure if has been mentioned-but if you have an analog thermometer they give terrible readings. You want to use a digital thermometer or a temp gun to measure both the basking spot and the area lower down in the cage.

he definatly has a whistling sound when he opens his mouth....and he has some bubbles at the corner of his mouth... :( :(

im guessing its a respitary problem then..have to consult the vet then.

he definatly has a whistling sound when he opens his mouth....and he has some bubbles at the corner of his mouth... :( :(
im guessing its a respitary problem then..have to consult the vet then.

Definately sounds like a respirtory infection - and yes a vet visit immediately is in order

well a visit to the vet after only 2 weeks of ownership :(

turns out he has a RI :(

i dont know whether its upper or lower..but still hes a poorly chap at the moment and im in two minds to whether he will actaully make it

got prescribes baytril. to be applied orally for a week.

fingers crossed and see what happends..not seen him drink or eat all today

lookin very brown atm :(

saddies

how the hell do you get a baby chameleon to open his mouth..he just shuts it soon as i get close..when i hold him he jst wriggles free.lol
frustrating as hell man
seen him eat and he has gone a better green colour now tho...
fingers crossed ay..

thank for all the info guys

You can try to EASE the medication into the chameleon's mouth when its drinking and its mouth is opening and shutting...or when its chewing. Just don't squirt it or put so much in at a time that it aspirates it. This is less stressful than forcing it.

Another thing that might work is a cat catheter because its long and thin and fits on the end of a syringe...so your hand can be further away from the chameleon while trying to get the medication in its mouth.

Back
Top Bottom