I'm so close to finally having it all

IMperfection

Hey everyone, I'm still working on getting everything set together with my cham. All I need is some branches and a drip system. I was wondering if just a small water pump from a fish tank cycling the water through would work just as well as some of these other systems?? Also, I have a pathos plant and need more than that with a 24x24x48, If I get branches from outside (I live in Mississippi) would it be ok to wire to the screen; and if so would I need to soak them or something to clear bacteria away??? Thanx to all of you out there, you all have helped with so much.

Hey everyone, I'm still working on getting everything set together with my cham. All I need is some branches and a drip system. I was wondering if just a small water pump from a fish tank cycling the water through would work just as well as some of these other systems?? Also, I have a pathos plant and need more than that with a 24x24x48, If I get branches from outside (I live in Mississippi) would it be ok to wire to the screen; and if so would I need to soak them or something to clear bacteria away??? Thanx to all of you out there, you all have helped with so much.

for the drip system i have Big Drippers on all of my cages. they have a valve to adjust the rate of dipping. they are very nice to have.

as far as having stuff to drip on nothin beats live plants. they hold droplets much easier. silk plants the water runs right off.

as far as branches you can bake them for 10-15 mins. or soak/spray with bleach and saop, but rinse really well

thanks for doing your homework. your smarter than the average bear. lol yogi

good idea

Yah get some branches from outside. I'd get them during the winter tho because the sap will be much less in the branches so's not to cause any eye irritations..

Branch selection can make or break a cage. First check the bark condition. In my area there are alot of various fungus problems and disease that spread in the trees, especially around my area. Any thing like this should be just left on the ground. Some branches may look good at first inspection. Check the branch for loose bark. If you find any peel it back. Alot of times you find wood that looks good on the outside and a penicillan experiment on the inside. Another thing you could do is to peel back the bark anyway. The wood under the bark should be light colored. With alot of the dark woods sap and oils are present. Some of these will simply not dry out and some of these can be irratating to skin. A good example of this is cedar.

After you have some you should wash them with soap and water all the time checking them over again. I find that baking the branches some where between 200-250*F. Why? It is not hot enough to burn the wood, well at least not quickly. If you baked them at say 170*F it would take for ever for the inside to reach external air temperature and could leave various things inside. How long you bake them in general depends on how thick they are. Real thin ones can reach interanal temperatures signifigant to kill of possible problems in 30min-1hr. On the other hand a 2" thick diameter one could take two or more hours. Keep this in mind when you are baking yours.

If you skip these steps you might end up with fungus, millipedes or branches that detoriate very fast. None of these are things you want to deal with so it is better to just be safe.

You can really go without a dripper if you know that you can deliver adequate misting sessions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom