Identify this species!

It says under the pic :

Bradypodion spinosum

A photo by one of the best insect/reptile photographs out there, Igor Siwanowicz

It says under the pic :

Bradypodion spinosum

A photo by one of the best insect/reptile photographs out there, Igor Siwanowicz

thank you! :)

im fairly well when it comes to understanding panthers & veiled.... but Xanths and Pygmies are still totally new to me...

Is this a rare chameleon? ( the one photographed? )

To be more correct, follwing the latest taxonomy:

Rhampholeon spinosus

We keep them at home, they are pretty :) Adult about 8 cm i think. In Europe it's quite rare, ah well there's only a handful of people keeping them. My boyfriend is the first one of his country to succesfully breed with them. (he's from Belgium)

It's a beautiful species. Several people on here are working with them (e.g. chamelisa, who is in your part of the country; check out her posts on breeding, for example). A search on "spinosus" will turn up a fair amount. That said, they're nowhere near as commonly kept as panthers and veileds. If you're interested in getting into pygmies, I highly recommend "Stump-tailed Chameleons - Miniature Dragons of the Rainforest" by Peter Necas - has 2-3 pages devoted to each species as well as some more genera information - along with the more in-depth species-specific info you can get here, on the Belgium forum, etc.

awesome, thank you guys so much for all of the information.

And some beautiful pictures I must say :)

Of course I will probably start off with a easier species of pygmy, just to "hone" my skills. Though in the future it would be wonderful to own a pair of Spinosus.

I was also pondering on some of the smaller montane species... but we will see.

Once again thanks to everyone for the information overload, it was an awesome read.

S.F

Back
Top Bottom