I know this is dumb but is it possible?

Dekuscrub, Your info on taxonomy leaves a lot to be desired.
I just did mtDNA sequencing of the South-Eastern beach mouse for a conservation genetics class and it really as expensive as you'd think. Like someone said, the lab can do a sample for under $100, and it takes about 20 minutes per sample on an older machine. So if you're doing a tray of test tube samples, you can leave it overnight and come back to find all your samples sequenced.

By looking at mtDNA and looking specifically at microsatellites you can tell a great deal of info on an individual. As an example, you can look specifically at non-lethal mutations in the loci (the little things, the ones that aren't really hurting so they are under no selective pressure one way or another, so they will "ride" unnoticed and unchanged in the genome for a looong time) and it can tell you how closely two populations are related by how many of these mutations the individuals share. So if two populations share, say 10 mutations, and a third population shares only 4, you know that pops 1 and 2 are much more closely related than pop 1 and 3 are. You can also do calculations that tell you how long ago two populations diverged from each other.

There is NO way that the genome can't tell you more about the history and relatives of a species than morphology can. That worked when we didn't have any advanced techniques but in this day and age it's vital to know the ins and outs of species if we want to work with them in any capacity. Sequencing DNA is the most efficient way of doing this.

i think you meant "have mated" not "bred" breeding suggests insemination occurred and the eggs were fertilized. as you know females produce eggs regardless of having been mated. so you cant chalk up the production of eggs as a direct effect of mating, thou you could assume insemination may incite hormonal changes causing them to ovulate.

not trying to be an ass just trying to clear up potential confusion, if it were that the eggs had been fertilized but they failed to hatch they i would definitely say "bred"

unlikely, if you had a full genetic code you could use an animal of a separate species as a surrogate mother. like jurassic park with the ostrich eggs. the ostriches genes wont effect development its just acts as a vessel.

if you introduce a gravid female veiled to another chameleon male or not they will display that coloration. or if theyre stressed like olypia said, or shortly before/during depositing eggs.

if hybrids were to occur id have to say at the very least thye would have to be in the same genus if not VERY VERY closely related genera.

like maybe a verrucosus and a panther or a panther and an oustalets.

or maybe a jacksonii merumontus and a werneri, but i wouldnt think a jacksonii and a melleri or a hoehnelii would be compatible just based on physical appearance. even though theyre all categorized as trioceros.

but we do know gracefuls and veileds can make it happen. so ya kever know till ya try. thou i dont recommend trying lol.

can i just let slip what most of us are thinking? you sir are an ass.

Not according to forum rules. ;)

He knows though. Ive told him.

lol yes:D he likes to call other people an ass and he is an ass HIMSELF!!
i wrote that because that is excacly what he commented on a thread of mine and never replied to what i had to say:p
(not trying to start a agruement)

I just did mtDNA sequencing of the South-Eastern beach mouse for a conservation genetics class and it really as expensive as you'd think. Like someone said, the lab can do a sample for under $100, and it takes about 20 minutes per sample on an older machine. So if you're doing a tray of test tube samples, you can leave it overnight and come back to find all your samples sequenced.

By looking at mtDNA and looking specifically at microsatellites you can tell a great deal of info on an individual. As an example, you can look specifically at non-lethal mutations in the loci (the little things, the ones that aren't really hurting so they are under no selective pressure one way or another, so they will "ride" unnoticed and unchanged in the genome for a looong time) and it can tell you how closely two populations are related by how many of these mutations the individuals share. So if two populations share, say 10 mutations, and a third population shares only 4, you know that pops 1 and 2 are much more closely related than pop 1 and 3 are. You can also do calculations that tell you how long ago two populations diverged from each other.

There is NO way that the genome can't tell you more about the history and relatives of a species than morphology can. That worked when we didn't have any advanced techniques but in this day and age it's vital to know the ins and outs of species if we want to work with them in any capacity. Sequencing DNA is the most efficient way of doing this.

So what is the status of the south eastern beach mouse? Is it in danger, or was that just an example for university?

It's really endangered, it doesn't look very good for them. Although the Brevard Zoo is doing a decent job of setting up a little captive breeding program. Some of what I did in lab was sent back to the program to add to the collective knowledge of the species, but some of the work I did didn't work out. So some of the work I did was a huge waste of several hours a week lol

lol yes:D he likes to call other people an ass and he is an ass HIMSELF!!
i wrote that because that is excacly what he commented on a thread of mine and never replied to what i had to say:p
(not trying to start a agruement)

LOL i almost didnt reply to what you said here either. i tend to loose track, i really should start using that subscribe button. and yes i know im an ass, if being an ass were a profession id be a gabijillionaire. lol the only reason i remembered this thread was becuase i was checking out what id gotten reputation points for most recently

damnit olimpia i like to pretend i know like i know what im talking about and this is what like the 5th time your profound knowledge has put me in my place. i plead ignorance i really thought the process was much more involved than that. and at the end there in red, i dont think i said, let alone suggested, morphology would in anyway be more accurate. feel free to quote me, lol i dont care enough to go back and reread the whole thread.

either way i grovel in your grace and knowledge i will try to abide by my quote in the future and get my facts beforehand (lol though im sure ill do it again, im just an ass like that)

i think it is possible, have you seen splice? in the movie they mix a bunch of different animals genetics until they get a good combination, and make a baby out if it and its born in a sac. so if it was real i would try it with different species of chameleons

................ huh?

Well, the movie Splice is also scifi... how many hybrid animals do you see that look like little humanoid aliens? Especially since most of the things they used I'm pretty sure aren't even close to the same species.

Back
Top Bottom