I have too many silk worm eggs.

Kenny C

So I gave rearing silks a shot and it was very successful but now I have all these cocoons and these cute little moths are coming out!.

But I already have 3 mating groups and about 44 waiting to come out of there cocoons what can I do to store all of these eggs?

You are welcome to send some to me if you have too many :D.

I think they will keep for about 2 months in the fridge, after that the hatch rate will really drop off.

You are welcome to send some to me if you have too many :D.

I think they will keep for about 2 months in the fridge, after that the hatch rate will really drop off.

I doubt CA would let them across the border. But might be worth a try.

Once they turn grey you can store them in the frig for several months. Just be aware that if you keep them on the door or and area that warms up they will start hatching in the there. I once made the mistake of keeping them in the crisper drawer of our garage frig, well when we fill it with warm beverages the frig warms up at first and I lost thousands of them.

Is it difficult to hatch and raise the eggs? I would love to try.

They are easy to hatch. I keep the eggs at room temperature and they take about a week to hatch. Raising them can be a bit time consuming, but it's not difficult either. If you raise them it ends up being a fraction of the cost of buying them in the store.

Back
Top Bottom