Hydration and drinking

finalflash

So i know this is something that has been covered quite a bit but i have a few questions for clarification...
I know that drinking from misting/dripping as well as a properly gut loaded and diverse feeders will pretty much address the hydration their needs. ...
I have a Jackson that will wait by 'his' plant for it to be misted in the morning so he can drink his fill, but he has no interest in the 'jucy' feeders ie silkworms and hornworms. I have a panther who the opposite never seen him drink and he hides from the mister and ignores the dripper. But can't get enough of the jucy feeders... The veiled is in the middle of these lol...
The question is this how much volume is really needed? is drinking a few drops really enough if they are eating lots of hydrating/jucy feeders and should they really be drinking a lot if they prefer crickets and roaches?
I know based on their size a few drops could be a lot of water and yes i get humidity at night can be another factor....
I may be overthinking this .... just looking for a little clarity

So i know this is something that has been covered quite a bit but i have a few questions for clarification...
I know that drinking from misting/dripping as well as a properly gut loaded and diverse feeders will pretty much address the hydration their needs. ...
I have a Jackson that will wait by 'his' plant for it to be misted in the morning so he can drink his fill, but he has no interest in the 'jucy' feeders ie silkworms and hornworms. I have a panther who the opposite never seen him drink and he hides from the mister and ignores the dripper. But can't get enough of the jucy feeders... The veiled is in the middle of these lol...
The question is this how much volume is really needed? is drinking a few drops really enough if they are eating lots of hydrating/jucy feeders and should they really be drinking a lot if they prefer crickets and roaches?
I know based on their size a few drops could be a lot of water and yes i get humidity at night can be another factor....
I may be overthinking this .... just looking for a little clarity
Hiya, hydration is always interesting. How are you providing humidity at night? When I first brought my chams home, they drank droplets after misting. I fog at night and now don't see them drinking droplets. High night time humidity does look like it will reduce the amount a cham will drink. Chameleon academy has some great information about hydration.

There can be several factors. First is how long are you misting for and how often? Ideally misting should be for at least two full minutes right before lights go on and off. Providing opportunity for a mid day drink is a bit optional and depends on circumstances. I give a 1 minute misting at mid day. Some may choose to use a dripper for 15-20 minutes at mid day. Some do neither.
Second factor is are you able to provide a substantial boost to humidity at night? This should only be done if your night time temps are below at least 68-70 or there is risks of respiratory infection. In the wild, chameleons are able to get well hydrated through the humidity that fog provides.
As you already identified, feeder choice is another factor.
Then, many chameleons are very secretive about drinking. The only times I have seen my chameleons drinking is when they were very sick. This is why it’s best to look at the color of urates to determine your chameleons hydration status. White or even with a small amount of yellow/light orange on one end is good. All dark is not.
There is not one size fits all for hydration. You have to look at your circumstances and what works best.

Yea I guess I am just overthinking or looking for issues where none exist...
urates look really good for all the kids so i guess i will keep an eye on this and the normal stuff day /night humidity, temperature diet etc.
and simply enjoy them and all their quirky behavior lol

Back
Top Bottom